• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a CUCV

ricksherryjosh1

Hey guys new to the site and i am looking to buy a cucv, I have a question, the 1985 cucv has a strong motor and good body, my concern is the front wheel bearing is going out and the seller has bought the bearing but hasn't installed, he says he only knows it needs a bearing because it's making a roaring sound, I will have to drive it 3 hours home concerned if it will make it no knocking or bumping, the radiator plastic area has a hair line crack the i think i can do a temp fix to get it home. Should i be majorly concerned about the bearing or should it make it home? thanks for any information. he doesn't seem to think i will have a problem driving it home, but he is selling it

Rick

MarcusOReallyus

Hey, it doesn't take much to rent a proper trailer. I towed mine home on a two-axle 8x16 that handled it just fine, and it cost me a whopping 70 bucks for the day.

Don't give up on that easily! :beer:

trukhead

I bought a M1028 with the alignment spec for 8 alignments in white writer on the interior of the drivers door from GL. It seems the motor-pool never thought to check the wheel bearings!:shock: The tires are scrubbed real bad. the only thing holding the wheel on is the brake caliper. It was too bad, the truck only has 32,000 or so miles on it. It tears parts up when the bearings are going bad!:deadhorse:

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, I had a bearing disintegrate on me in an old Oldsmobile I had back when. Like yours, nothing holding the wheel on but the caliper. It happened in about 60 seconds I went from rolling down the freeway at 60, to fighting the wheel and trying to get over to the shoulder.

Not a fun ride!

ricksherryjosh1

Well thinking I could just go to the nearest auto zone or advanced and replace it in the parking lot. They would have the tools I could use. I wonder if they would have a press to press the bearing and chases in. If this is a one hour fix I could take care of it right then???

Last edited:

wayne pick

If you have never done it before, it's not a one hour job, and I woulden't trust anyone working at Autozone with a press. I doubt they provide any shop services anyway. Basic tools are all you need along with a hub socket. A brass drift will remove and install the bearing races. cool the races in ice water for about 20 min. This will shrink them making installation easier. Youre better off doing this job in the sellers driveway if possible.

ricksherryjosh1

Any idea where the best place to buy the complete kit. I am going to go ahead and do both sides once I get it home just to be safe and have it done with.

Last edited:

wayne pick

Don't know about a complete kit. Just tell the parts guy you want inner, outer bearings races and seals. You never stated what truck you have in your original thread, just as a CUCV. Doing both sides is a good idea. you might as well do a pad slap brake job as well. you will have all that apart anyway and it's cheap insurance. Make sure all the fluids are topped off before hitting the road, including the transfer case and diffs.

MarcusOReallyus

wayne pick

Hea Marcus, I just suggested doing the job in the sellers drive to avoid any problems with local law inforcement. Parking lot repairs are not tolerated here due to insurance issues. I myself would also trailer it. The OP seems determined to drive it so watta ya gonna do? Who knows what else is wrong with this thing. A breakdown on the highway will be far more costly than the cost of a trailer and a truck to pull it with.:)