• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to Lift

Sine Metu

First off I apologize for asking any question that has been addressed, I have read page after page on SS and other websites about lift kits and what people did with their truck, etc. If Im asking an obvious question Im sorry, my head is so numb and I am so confused I really cant seem to make heads or tails...so please bear with me...

I want to lift my M1009 4" and put 33x12.50R15's on it. I dont do or plan on any aggressive offraoding (Mudding, Rock climbing, etc) Just the occasional "stroll" through the old construction site, field, woods or trail. stuff that I may flex, but nothing that pushes the limits, so with that in mind, here come my questions:

1) Can I put the above mentioned size tire on the stock rims or do I need to purchase rims for that size?

2) What else do I need to modify? I know I have to put a new steering arm on, new shocks, and brake line extensions. what about sway bar, drive shaft, transfer case, and pinion (which I am still oblivious to what it actually is) Im reading that some people are changing these things for 4" lifts, and some arent, some are changing it only for 6" and up, and some arent... whats the verdict? just steering arm, shocks and brake line extensions or does there need to be more modifications?

3) the ORD 4" shackle flip kit, this eliminates the block in the rear end correct? what are the pros and Cons. I have also read "axle wrap" in the same sentence as blocked rear end and shackle flip rear end, what does axle wrap mean or what is it?

4) Also this steering box/block frame reinforcment thing I have read about, do I need to do that or is that for larger than 4" lifts?

5) And finally what on God's green earth is a Crossover conversion for the front end? I have no idea what that entails or why its needed, etc.

I Believe that is is for now, Not as many questions as I originally had but I accidentally changed pages and lost all my previously typed stuff (Face Palm).

Any pictures would be great if available, I apologize again for any obvious answer I am suppose to have found myself, if I did its lost in the Numbness. I am not just being lazy and not reading, just so lost. Many thanks for any help and patience you can give me!

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that tire size on my M1009 with a 4" lift. The lift I have has a block, not the spring flip. I also used the same/stock rims. As for the frame reinforcement it's my understanding the is is not the lift that causes issues, it is the mass of the tires/wheels that creates the issues. I recently had the axles out of the M1008 (Dana 60 Corp 14 bolt) stuck under my truck. I had the shop do the steering box reinforcement. I'm now riding on 35" tires with 17" rims. The next thing I've got to do is get my M416 leveled out.

Attachments

Cucvnut

Your stock steering a push pull on the drivers side. Cross over is when you take a left right style 2wd steering box and replace the stock push pull 4wd steering box. You then have a drag link that crosses over to the passenger side of the axle to turn from that side. But you need a dana 44 flat top knucle to replace the stock non flat top style knuckle onthe 10 bolt. And you have cross over steering. I know its a M1008 but I have pics of the steering on my build link in my signature

Last edited:

Sine Metu

Gottlos, thats good news for me on the tires will save money on not buying new rims! haha. just to clarify, the steering box reinforcement should be done if you are running larger than 33" tires? or even with those you should?

Cucvnut thanks for the explanation and i was looking at those pictures the other day, I love what you did to your M1008, looks sick! but now I see what you explained with the pics...what would the pros and cons be to the crossover steering?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks