• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LS swap your M1008

mtperkins

Has anyone successfully completed an LS swap?

I have a 4l80e from a gas truck.

I am thinking the 4.8L LS engine is cheap to find.

any links on here to posts where this has been done?

Jeepadict

It's a well documented process in the Squarebody arena. Many forums and FB groups go into great depth on the process and there's many companies that specialize in this since there's soo many variables to choose from. Googling "Squarebody LS swap" will open a massive wormhole to get lost in for days at a time.

When researching, imagine that your 1008 is actually a D30 (diesel K30) because once you rip the motor and 24v electrical out the only thing that will be different from any other civvy truck should be the blackout lights.

My observation has been that the 6.0/4L80E is the more desired option due to turn-key available power and trans strength, but the 5.3/4L60E is more common and there by less expensive to aquire. The 6.0 is available in both a fly-by-cable and fly-by-wire throttle control.

Keep in mind as you plan your build that there's many finite details to hash/iron out all the way down to spline counts and connector plug configurations. My best suggestion is to study other builds and take notes as to what they did that you like/dislike and that will help you build your recipie for your build as there's more than a thousand ways to skin this cat. In the end there will still be a handful of issues to iron out.

Example of the build I'm planning:
6.0/4L80/241C
(Might go 263/261 push-button just for fun but really don't want the axle swap headache)
OE harness reworked by LSX
Cut Bros crossmember and disc brake conversion
Haven't decided which motor mounts to use yet
Haven't decided on bellhousing location yet
E-fans and harness from 05 Suburban
Gas pedal from 6.5L
Cruise control lever from G10 van
Full dash from Dakota
Deleting all torque management

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtperkins

Thanks for responding! There is a lot of info not really helpful to me on the net. I have spend hours looking and keep finding builds for 2wd trucks or cars.

I am trying to decide if i should buy an engine with the harness or not. Does the ECM control the transmission too? Do i need a ECM from a truck with a 4.8L and 4l80e?

A 4.8L running engine is 436 dollars at a local junk yard with 175k. Seems like it would make a nice driver with the price of gas now.....

Right now i have a few months before winter to gather up parts.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m wanting to do the same thing. I received a set of “free” CUCVs a 1008 and 1009 from a good friend. both need drive trains . The 1009 has no engine or trans. It may be easier to just put in a small block or maybe a 454

I would never sell them so I’ve got to do something with them.

mtperkins

I’m wanting to do the same thing. I received a set of “free” CUCVs a 1008 and 1009 from a good friend. both need drive trains . The 1009 has no engine or trans. It may be easier to just put in a small block or maybe a 454

I would never sell them so I’ve got to do something with them.

The good news is junkyards are full of parts that can be made to work. My only issue with the CUCV is how slow she is on the busy roads. Sounds like you got an open platform to build a cool truck.

I did find something really interesting. DIYAUTOTUNE.com

This site helps you build controllers and has already made transmission controllers for the 4l80e. Which can be tuned if needed.

I think i read the articles right where you can also add on an engine controller. Which is super cool and also educational with support in the USA.

But, for right now i have a SBC 350 with headers i can drop in with the 4l80e swap. This might be the most cost effective for me currently. Definitely will be grabbing LS 4.8 or 5.3L parts at the junkyard for future use. I counted 26 trucks at the local junk yard. Holy molly they are rot boxes up here in NY.

Junkyards for me are like dropping a kid off in a candy store. Next thing you know i will stubble on a descent 6.0L. lol

Have a great day

Matt

Skinny

Yeah everything up here turns to junk after about 10 years on the road.

Your best bet is to get a complete set up. Its cheaper but then all you really need is a harness, headers, motor mounts, etc.

It gets pricey trying to source stuff like sensors. Just tracking down a transmission inspection cover is a PITA. Just do it all at once and save your sanity.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks