• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug Nuts M1123

Thunderbirds

Hey all,

I am finally getting to reinstall the front wheels, and the TM reads to run the lug nuts on all the way with finger strength. Well, with the lug nuts I removed, this will be an impossible task. I can't even get 5 of 8 on with a ratchet or the impact wrench. Looking at the cone end of these nuts, the threads are completely smashed and the cone part is distorted (see pics), probably from over tightening. I thought to cut the threads back, but there is too much running on them to mess around. The studs are great, I can get a new 9/16-18 nut on all the way, hardly any resistance.

So, I found them in the Parts Manual, TM9-2320-280-24P CO1, page 167-1, item 10, NSN 5310010219027 - 5310-01-021-9027, part 1567442.

My issue is now to find them in the civilian world. I have located some at NAPA

Has anyone used these, or are there better recommendations out there?

Then I just found these, the length is 0.75", just like the original...
Or

20240613_204013.jpg
20240613_204026.jpg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, they are plain ol 9/16-18 lug nuts with 7/8" hex, zinc plated, the very first thing I replace on every HMMWV I get, you are correct over tightening them ruins them.
Lug nuts are supposed to be "soft" so you wear them out long before the studs or the wheels.
I don't know about the NAPA ones in particular as I buy them in bulk for a whole lot less than $2.70 ea.

Thunderbirds

Yep, they are plain ol 9/16-18 lug nuts with 7/8" hex, zinc plated, the very first thing I replace on every HMMWV I get, you are correct over tightening them ruins them.
Lug nuts are supposed to be "soft" so you wear them out long before the studs or the wheels.
I don't know about the NAPA ones in particular as I buy them in bulk for a whole lot less than $2.70 ea.
Awesome, thanks. What is your source?

Awol

The lugs on mine are beat. They definitely can't be put on finger tight at first. Usually you'll get maybe 2 rotations before needing the impact.

Sounds like some new lugs are in order.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lugs on mine are beat. They definitely can't be put on finger tight at first. Usually you'll get maybe 2 rotations before needing the impact.

I would hate to be on the side of the road with a 4 way lug wrench changing a wheel with those lug nuts, would be a fight both ways.
On top of the fact they can be run in and deformed so much they may not hold the wheel properly

Thunderbirds

I would hate to be on the side of the road with a 4 way lug wrench changing a wheel with those lug nuts, would be a fight both ways.
On top of the fact they can be run in and deformed so much they may not hold the wheel properly
I just got my front wheels done. I tried to reuse some of the less distorted nuts. Even the best ones were somewhat tight to get on. I think 2 of the 16 I was able to run all the way down with more force than I like. Then I got the brand new ones. Man, absolutely zero resistance, just like they are supposed to be. I could almost slap-spin them with a flat hand and get two or three revolutions out of them. I am a believer in new lug nuts only now as soon as there is any resistance, especially for $0.90 a piece. Just like the Mog said, hate to be on the side of the road fighting the buggers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks