• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lunette flip

Westex

Going Monday to Fort Bliss to recover a CBC M105 trailer for a fellow member. What size socket, or wrench, do you need to loosen the nut to 'flip' the lunette? Already bought a pintle hook, etc for my receiver on my Dodge dually, but I still think I need to flip the ring. Only have to go about 12 miles with it back home.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should ride just fine as is on a dually, the only 105 I tried flipping the lunette on about beat me into the ground, I just got a raised insert for my hitch.
James

Attachments

Westex

O.K., thanks for the quick reply. I got alot of irons in the fire and want this recovery to go smooth, especially for another member. My truck is definitely full size so I should be good to go.

tm america

i wouldnt waist my time flipping it just to tow it 12 miles the treads are ussually pretty rusty nad you need a BIG hammer to jar the lunnette loose most of the time.having it a little low in the front wont hurt anything not like anything is gonna hit the ground:roll:

frodobaggins

If you want to flip it, you need a medium sized pipe wrench, some good spray lube, a pair of pliers, and a hand sledge.

Remove the cotter pin with the pliers, spray down the threads, loosen the nut with the pipe wrench. When you get it out far enough, hit the lunette dead on the end toward the trailer until it breaks free. Flip, tighten nut, insert cotter pin.

Barrman

1-1/2" is the size of the nut on the 105. Same as the M35 lugs.

If you pull the nut and then start beating on the lunet with a sledge, it will come loose. Don't try to beat it out of the taper. Hit the top of the ring on the drivers side a few times and then the passenger side a few times. Once it rocks or rolls just a little, it will pop on out. Don't be afraid to really hit it and it won't take very long.

Once you do get it loose, smother it in grease and put it like you want it. Then, everytime you walk by the trailer at home, give the lunette a twist. You won't have trouble with it again that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks