• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1078 Door Handles/ Interesting Topic?

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I need door handles but I really am having trouble paying prices close to $200 for one.
I really would like handles that do not have a lock or pot metal.
The end statement is this. Has anybody come up with better door handles at a lesser price.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I need door handles but I really am having trouble paying prices close to $200 for one.
I really would like handles that do not have a lock or pot metal.
The end statement is this. Has anybody come up with better door handles at a lesser price.
Yes. Go to the "HELP" section of your local parts house and pick up a pair of handles and install them.

@chucky used that idea and it worked really well.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of guys have upgraded to the A1R style Trimark paddle handles. There's videos covering the topic on youtube. They are essentially mildly customized RV door handles. They aren't particularly that much cheaper than the older style but they are stronger and they look the part.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think hes looking for outside door handles and i didnt have to replace mine but if hes refering to the interior handles i got mine on amazon and Mack truck interior handles are the same spline size as these trucks

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of guys have upgraded to the A1R style Trimark paddle handles. There's videos covering the topic on youtube. They are essentially mildly customized RV door handles. They aren't particularly that much cheaper than the older style but they are stronger and they look the part.

Thank you. Watched the video and that definitely is an alternative.

Ronmar

Do you recall what years??
95-04 4runner or tacoma. I have been running toyotas since mid 80’s and have never broken a handle. Currently running 5 with these vintage handles(6 if you count the LMtV) in my immediate fam without issue.

tons of these in junkyards as there are lots of these toys out there and the handles don't break:)

paid $10 each when I got the set for my truck. You will have to make adapters for the thin rods on the LMTV or upsize to larger size rods that will use conventional end bushing locks.

you can see one in the beginning of this video…

coachgeo

Thank you once again sir!!!
IMHO best choice (which was not available when the above folks were doing their handle fixes)..... is our member here that makes Eco Hubs. He now make/sells machined replacement parts for the two parts that make up 99% of the handle failures. Least costly when you come down to it as well.

Last edited:

Ronmar

Thank you once again sir!!!
I should have mentioned thats a rear handle, those have no locks and fit with only a little door skin modification and of course fabricating a back side bracket that sandwiches the door skin when bolted to the back of the handle. the front handles have locks and are ~1/2" longer. I did the door mods with a Dremel tool and fiber cutoff wheels(wear glasses/face shield). ~maybe 10-15 minutes to prep the door to fit the handle, you need to relieve the corners of the opening to fit the new handle.

Third From Texas

There are several options out there. The handles in the A1R have no issues, so I'd lean towards following the same conclusions BAE made and go with Trimarks.

What shouldn't be an option is paying some surplus scalper $200 ea for the same A0 OEM crapola that will break. Again, and again, and again. Contrary to what some on FB say (that it's user error and you should "pull on a handle") the OEM handles are junk.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke with someone that knows all the guys that are selling the original door handles. Turns out they are not surplus but being made in china for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks