• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 816 outrigger oops.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so I found out the hard way what the little strips of flat stock held in place with two 3/4 bolts are for just above each outrigger...

I had thought that they come out a whole lot further than they are supposed to! Nope - just to the end of the taper, like the TM pic - however one of the TM pics shows the outrigger further than just the taper...

No biggie - they need servicing, flipping good scrub and regrease, seems to be a whole field of dirt in there. One is refusing to come out though.

Might even 'stripe' them while they are out.

Update...

A little Umpf and a Hi-Lift jack, now have all 4 on the floor. Power washed all yucky grease/sand/rust off. Even power washed right through the body tubes that hold them. Needed a heavy bar of steel to scrape some stuborn lumps of rust from deep within the tube. All is good, progression restored.

Attachments

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are a bugger to get out the first time. I took my stops out and kept pulling for a ways but never got out out far enough for the outrigger to come out the whole way.

Did you take yours out the whole way? How many of yours turn on the turnscrews? I have 1 that turns and the other 3 locked solid. That is a project for another day!

Did you get some pictures?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup - all out on the floor. Awaiting wirewheel, flap disk and acid treatment. Not sure how I am going to derust the middle of the body tubes - that's a long way in.

The screw part is hand tight on all four - that's a result in it'self.

What pics did you want to see?

I think the truck looks pretty "clean" without the baseplates on the side. I am seriously looking at detatching the baseplates from the legs so I can stow them seperately - a la M819 rears. This will also allow side access to the front lockers if I go that route.

See seperate thread from Csm Davis Wrecker bed modification for idea pics etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks