• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008, a whole new dog

azex

Like many here, I bemoaned the low top speed and poor highway performance of my M1008.

Swapped the rear axle out for a different one, in 4.10 and now I can go 78mph. Pretty sweet.

Now it's time to pick a set of gears for the front in 4.10.

Does anyone know the part numbers to the gear sets offered by the various manufacturers? Like Richmond Gear, Motive Gear or Spicer?

Anything special I should look out for? Are all the axles the same on the M1008? I can assume they are but you know how that goes.

Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

D.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like many here, I bemoaned the low top speed and poor highway performance of my M1008.

Swapped the rear axle out for a different one, in 4.10 and now I can go 78mph. Pretty sweet.

Now it's time to pick a set of gears for the front in 4.10.

Does anyone know the part numbers to the gear sets offered by the various manufacturers? Like Richmond Gear, Motive Gear or Spicer?

Anything special I should look out for? Are all the axles the same on the M1008? I can assume they are but you know how that goes.

Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

D.
Is that new top speed with stock M1008 tires?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Did you do it yourself or have someone local do it?

Anything special I should look out for? Are all the axles the same on the M1008?
Not that I know of, just a GM Dana 60 axle.

Skinny

I'm pretty sure the carrier split on a D60 is 4:10/4.56 meaning you will need a new carrier for those gears. Good opportunity for a traction aiding differential.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although I haven't yet attempted to get there, the calculated top speed of my M1028 with 11.00/20 NDT is around 115 MPH. Currently turning around 1900 RPM at 55 MPH with surprising power. Going down a long hill I actually have to get on the brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks