• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Alt overcharging at 15.1v

Dodgeman1941

Our M1009 also runs with the voltmeter sits at the top of the green, about a 1/2 a neddle with off from red.

While we're talking about cucv alts {if you don't mind me kind of hijacking}, my ALT 1 light stays on when the truck is started untill you give it just a slight rev, then it goes {and stays} off and the voltmeter jumps up to the above mentioned location and all the 12v accys go to the normal operating level. Do you other guys have this happen?

hobie237

You are losing the voltage regulator. I'm not sure what's involved with replacing it, but when this happened to me, just driving home (20 minutes or so) was enough to fry one of the batteries pretty good and boil off some electrolyte. I just dropped the unit off for a rebuild, which is $100 or so.

As for the light being on until it's revved up a bit, that's pretty normal.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went out and measured mine for a reference. Not running, I had 12.80v DS, and 12.88v PS. Running, I had 14.65 DS, and 14.78 PS My system is working well.

crusty

Before adjusting anything, I would check all your connections for corrosion. Also check the leads for voltage drop. This frequently indicates corrosion in the terminal ends. Check both the positive and negative leads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks