• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 axles into a m1009

2deuce

I'm not looking to tow or haul, but with the idea of a lift and 37" tires. It would probably need crossover steering added. I want to make this a better off road vehicle, but do you have to give up freeway traveling? If I go smaller than 36 or 37 to keep low range low enough, then what? overdrive? or are there different th400 ratios and TC ratios to look for. Anyone done this? I have an 85 Suburban for parts. I don't know if the trans or TC ratios are different than the M1009 or M1008. Maybe I didn't search good enough but I didn't see anything on this.

Thanks,
Greg

hobie237

The other alternative is to get axles from a civilian truck with better gearing for the highway, like 3.73s. They won't be any different from the D60/14BFF in the 1008s.

2deuce

Thanks for the replys. I have a set of axles from a 85 3/4 ton suburban that has 3.73 gears. The glove box says posi for the rear, its a 14 bolt. Is this the gov-lock that is so unpopular? There is no mension of the front axle so I'm guessing its a 10 bolt, but it is an 8 lug. I have access to a set of axles from a M1008 also. The wrecked Suburban I bought also had a banks turbo on it so I thought I'd swap that over also, now I'm wondering which axles to use. I'm also guessing that the Suburban TC is the same as I already have in the M1009. Is this right? Can you guys give me your opinons on which way to go.

Thanks,
Greg

AJMBLAZER

The Suburban front would be a 10 bolt. Nothing different than a half ton 10 bolt other than the parts necessary for the extra 2 lugs per side.

Yep, the factory locker would be the Gov-Lok. It's supposed to be decent in a 14FF simply because it's much larger and the carrier is huge and beefy as opposed to a 10 bolt. I'd rather have a real locker as you're still left with it's odd habits and goofy manors.

If the Suburban has OD then it has a 700R4 transmission. However I'm betting it has a TH400 which should then be the same as what you already have.

The 10 bolt front and 3.73's would be pretty good for 36's without OD. Use the diesel grunt at low speeds and at high speeds the gears would keep it from spinning the wee outta the motor. Hard wheeling might challenge that 10 bolt with tires that size though.

2deuce

I went out and looked and its the 3 speed auto, but the glove box says auto locking hubs and it has Warn hubs on it and the spindle is different, shorter I think but I didn't measure. Also has the trailer tow package whatever that means and a 40 gal tank.

Greg

AJMBLAZER

3 speed auto = TH400
Hubs are no big deal, they failed often so manual hubs are a common swap.
Trailer tow package generally meant bigger rear drums, the deeper gears (sure it doesn't have 4.10's?), a hitch, and transmission and maybe engine oil coolers. Oh, bigger mirrors usually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks