• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008...Battery?

M1008driver

When I moved my M1008 to my neighbor's driveway while the plumber was here my truck started. I moved my truck twice and the first time my voltmeter stayed in the yellow. The second time it popped up to green like normal.

Now the truck won't start. When I turn the key I get one click. I checked all the grounds. I am thinking front battery because of the click and not a screech indicating the starter. I have Optima D31A batteries only 6 months old.

While I read the TM's to trouble shoot this anyone have any ideas? I put the battery on fast charge while I read. I did check the fuses and found nothing wrong.

Attachments

M1008driver

My multimeter is 32 miles away right now at my brother's house. I am sure it is the front battery and more than likely the DS alternator. I ordered a rebuild kit from CUCV Electric. It was in my plans to do anyway.

Although troubling, it's not rocket science. I will be up and running soon. Thanks...

Last edited:

M1008driver

Talk about sticking my foot in my mouth...

My brother brought the meter and we checked the batteries, starter, new starter solenoid on the firewall, purple wire to the starter relay under the dash and it all checks out. When I turn the key I get a click. Brother thinks maybe the neutral safety switch.

I have the wring diagrams and see nothing wrong so far. It has to be something simple. I checked and cleaned the battery ground too.

Any useful input is welcome.

EDIT- I also checked and replaced the starter relay fuse, 10 amp on the bottom of the fuse box

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no starter solenoid on the firewall.

There is a glow plug relay on the firewall.

Do you have the stock under dash starter relay still?

At the starter, with the key in the start position, you have 24 volts on the big wire and the small wire?

Is your engine grounded to the frame well? (try jumper cables to add a temporary ground)

Have you removed and cleaned all your battery cables? The buss bar on the passenger side firewall is a common place for bad connections.

Last edited:

M1008driver

There is a glow plug relay on the firewall.
The guy at Oreilly's called it a starter solenoid. I already know there is a starter solenoid attached to the starter.

At the starter, with the key in the start position, you have 24 volts on the big wire and the small wire?
Yes, could it be my 3 month old starter from Power Strike if it is getting power? It has a two year warranty.

Is your engine grounded to the frame well? (try jumper cables to add a temporary ground)
No clue here. How can it not be grounded to the frame?

Have you removed and cleaned all your battery cables? The buss bar on the passenger side firewall is a common place for bad connections.
I did that today. I will take a wire brush to the connections maybe tomorrow after work. My brother pulled off the neutral safety switch at the bottom of the steering wheel and I need to get a new one because the gear tab is cracking. I will be doing the jumper cable trick when I get a new switch, just in case.

EDIT- When I turn the key all I get is one click. The glow plugs seem to be cycling right.

Attachments

Last edited:

overkill375

He wants you to do the jumper cable trick just in case you have a bad ground. I have a starter that was on a good running starting truck if you need a spare/test part will let it go for a good price.

M1008driver

Sounds like the starter solenoid to me.
Me too, except it wasn't acting up and I never smelled anything.

I read another thread where the gp relay card caused the same symptoms. I have the CUCV Electric card. The old one is under my seat and I will swap them just in case.

edpdx 06-30-2011 01:13 Thanks for posting a resolution- glad to hear you are up-and-running. Too bad the original poster could not get things resolved. I had similar issues; but finally got my M1009 running after sanding all the leads in the GP card box . I still had intermittant issues where I would get a loud click instead of the expected wind up of the starter; but then on the next turn of the key it would fire and start?!? Last week I went to start it and all I got was a lot of smoke from the tail pipe when cranking- like a NO SPARK condition. It took me two seconds to surmise that the original card may have given out. I had ordered one from one of the members on this forum and it was still sitting in a bag on my shelf. I R&R'd it and it fired right up- no issues since... I better order another spare.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plug card has nothing to do with the starter.

M1008driver

I know that...I was just bouncing off that thread I posted. I just swapped the card with the old card and still the same thing. Does a starter solenoid go bad without a sound or electrical smell?

EDIT- this is not a chopped up M1008. It has been running great and I was planning on taking it hunting in a week. We got a load of firewood last weekend and had no problems.

If it is not the neutral safety switch I have on order I will be dropping the starter. I wish it was something easier. I hate the starter and thought I bought a good one. (starter, new bolts, brace, flexplate)

Last edited:

M1008driver

Yesterday I was dealing with installing a sump pump in my basement and my truck. Today I have a more clear idea of what is happening. I noticed last night the click was from under the dash. I am going to change my starter relay before I mess with the starter. I never heard of the relay going out, but sound is better at night and that is where it came from. Wish me luck.

islandguydon

Hope you find the problem, My advice for any DC electrical connection to and from a battery is to use a small amount of dielectric grease to ensure a proper connection. Thats my two cents...

M1008driver

Well now it's all hands on deck. I put in a new starter relay the same as the doghead mod and it didn't work. I still get a click when I turn the key. That means my starter solenoid is probably out. I do have a neutral safety switch in the mail, but I don't have allot of hope that is the problem.

For doghead I did try his suggestions like grounding the engine to the frame and cleaning the connections again. This is just frustrating. My truck has been running perfectly and proudly driven all over the place without any problems. At least it broke at home. That was a blessing.

I was trying for the cheap easy fix first...

EDIT- I crawled under the truck and the battery connection to the starter seems to be maybe, possibly, hopefully loose. I don't have time to take it apart until Saturday morning. If the solenoid is bad, and it doesn't smell like it is, I can get one in town. There is hope here.

Last edited: