• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 buying tips?

JTZX

I'll be driving 2 hours (each way) tomorrow to look at a 1984 M1008 with 34k original miles and I haven't seen much in the form of a "buyer's guide" and am wondering if anybody has any tips or pointers for me. The guy I talked to today on the phone is obviously foreign so it was a little difficult communicating with him since his English wasn't fluent, but he describes the truck as "like new" condition (we'll see how true that is tomorrow) and he's asking $5800 negotiable. I have never looked at one before and I don't want to go in completely blind. What, if anything, do I need to look at closely on these trucks? I'm pretty good at looking for rust, bondo, and any body or frame issues, but mechanically I'm not always the best at finding/diagnosing problems, especially when it comes to diesels and 4x4's since I've never worked on either. Thanks!

Jason

CCATLETT1984

you'll want to look at the condition of the u-joints in the front axle, if you can wiggle them with your hand then they are shot, a rebuild is around $700 near here. not that hard of a job to do yourself if you're mechanicaly inclined. also check for side to side play in the wheel bearings on ethe front axle as well. If you can put it into 4x4-high and drive it around a little, the shift-fork inside these t-cases has a nylon pad on it. If it's worn down then the truck can pop out of 4x4, again its not that hard of a fix. Listen to how it starts. shouldn't be rough for very long, also before you start it check to see if the engine is cold (that way you know if he has been running it for a while to hide something.

JTZX

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure and check everything you mentioned. I'm not worried if minor mechanical work needs to be done (such as u-joints or the nylon pad in the t-case you mentioned) since my uncle is a mechanic and can probably do that stuff with his eyes closed, it's just major stuff I'm concerned with. As long as there aren't 100 minor things to fix (being nickle and dimed to death is not fun) or something major then I'm not worried. In my mind the most important thing is the body and engine because I am not a bodyman and I hate dealing with rust and I have no experience with diesels. As for his asking price, does $5800 obo sound like a good price for an M1008? Thanks again.

Jason

CCATLETT1984

If the body is in GREAT shape than its a good price, otherwise I'd say its a little high.
I would say around $4500 is a good median price for a mechanically sound truck that might have a few dings and dents.

JTZX

Sounds good. All I've had to go off of up to now when it comes to prices is what Alfa Heaven charges for their trucks, so this one actually sounded cheap in comparison.

What's your opinion on whether or not the M1008 makes a good daily driver, if you don't mind me asking? That's what I plan on using it for if I buy it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope I'm not too late. Once warmed up and idling, remove the oil fill cap. A little haze of smoke is OK, if you get a considerable amount of smoke, it indicates blow by. Also smell the tranny fluid, if it smells burnt, use that as a bartering leverage.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it has any issuues the Alfa truck would be the better deal. IMOP

Chuck H

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know if I am off my rocker here, but for $5800 that truck better be near perfect. On GL they seam to go for $2-3K most of the time. On ebay I have seen both above and below that.

JTZX

Hmmm, you're the second person who'd mentioned keeping an eye on the gov't auction sites (the other was in the M880 forum). I've checked those before, but the stuff on there seemed to be kind of junky and in need of a lot of work. I'm actually looking for a something that I can pick up, maybe do a little minor work to, and then drive every day. Now I'm not familiar with what comes out of the gov't auctions, so they may actually be good trucks, in which case I'd love to get one via that route. I saw there's a forum here where you can ask other members for help inspecting the vehicles up for auction, which is awesome, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well GL does have alot of junk on it, and recently there are titling problems with thier vehicles.(do a search) Just like you are doing here you need to inspect the item in person. Their pictures suck, and often just miss the problem areas. It however is a good place to shop if you are in no rush. Ebay can be real nice if the seller is cool. They often come with titles. The pictures are often better, but again inspect.

If the M1008s are similar in rust as M1009s the worst rust spots to check are the rocker panels under the doors, along the door bottoms, back corners of the cab, and the inner fender. I am sure I am missing some. Check to see if the electrical system has been modified from stock 24V. 12V is fine if the conversion is done well. Here is a link to a good place to get parts for your M1009.

www.lmctruck.com

BKinzey

Price seems a little high so I would definately use Alfa Heaven as a comparason. This guy's M1008 should look as good as Alphas.

One note if you are new to diesels. The oil WILL be BLACK. That's normal. As mentioned smell is a better judgement of condition.

Look for "modifications." Lots of these had parts robbed off of them before being released. Often, usually with electrical, rape is a better term :roll: Be sure to look under & behind the dash.

Good Luck, take pics, let us know how it goes!

JTZX

I decided to pass on the truck. I'm still going to look around for an M1008 but I just don't have a good feeling about this one for some reason, and usually I do well when I trust my intuition. Thanks for the buying tips and I'll definately use them when I look at any M1008's or M1009's!

Jason

JTZX

I actually saw that auction and posted it in the ebay section. It looks pretty darn nice, and somebody whol lives down there is taking a look at it for me before the auction ends, so if it's as nice as it looks and is described, I'm going to try and win the auction. We'll see what happens!

Truckzilla

This is so cool! I was brousing trying to find info on the M1008 and I happen to see the reference to the truck on e-bay. I am the one who won the truck. Going to poick it up this weekend. First time I've ever bought a vehicle on e-bay before, but I decided to take a chance and see if I could win this thing. Anyways, just thought is was cool to see the truck that I had won being talked about here. Makes me feel better about my purchase. Please e-mail if you have any suggestions or tips concerning this vehicle as this is my first diesel. Thanks!

cobra

Hope im not late, when looking at a m1008, look underneath, on the other side of the panels for rust. make sure the check all the driveshafts, for looseness and play. Hope this hepls, Congrats Truckzilla

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks