• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Class V Receiver Install

Xs10tial

I know there's a few threads out there on this topic, and from reading on the site, I went with the Curt Hitch for an '84 Chevy C/K 30 someone here recommended from ebay. I've gotten the install finished, and if you're reading this in the hopes that there will be a nice aftermarket bolt on part, I'd advise you to forget it. But, I thought I'd post my experience for those who are interested.

The install started with lining up the hitch to the tow hook bracket bolts, and it was immediate to me that the hitch was just a little too wide to fit between the "ears". The idea was to unbolt the bracket and take it off, then weld the tow hook tube to the hitch itself. Unfortunately, those bracket are tacked on both tot the frame, and inside the bumper. So, I pulled out my trusty cutting wheel, and got to work.

I removed the tack from the frame, and then cut up forward of the bumper diagonally following the contour with a torch. If you try this, make sure you wrap your wires with a fireproof (asbestos) blanket to avoid melting them.

After removing both brackets, I used hillsides to space the receiver from the frame properly.

I wanted at least 2 bolts in each side, which I'd then reinforce by welding the receiver to the frame. This worked out well on the right side, after I removed the long bolt that holds the spare tire (I'm going to fabricate a replacement as that long bolt is one of the worst design ideas I've ever seen, but that's a different topic), I was able to get 2 bolts into the existing holes. I wasn't so fortunate on the left side. So, I burned a hole through the frame, and then finished it off with a 1/2" drill bit.

I took a bit of work, and I'll finish tacking the receiver to the frame tomorrow, but so far I'm pleased with the results, and with knowing that I'll be pulling my 8000 lb boat safely and securely.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks