• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 crank no start, might be the IP?

KallyLC

My M1008 died last week, I'd taken it on a trip a couple of weeks ago and it had been sitting since then. My brother went to pick it up last friday so we could do some maintenance before taking it on another trip, and it made it about 20ft before it died and would not restart. Did try to troubleshoot it last week but didn't have a lot of time or the tools on hand to properly go through it, we just could tell that it had fuel flowing fine after the filter, but nothing at the injectors. so we left it there.

I've been up there today to go through the full troubleshooting process, and I just want a bit of a sanity check to make sure I've checked everything and that i've done it correctly.

Here's what I've checked:

- It's got fuel in the tank, gauge reads 1/4 and I put a bit more in just to make sure.

- It has an aftermarket spin-on fuel filter setup, the filter's old and needs replacing, but it has good pressure at the bleed nipple (after the filter), so the lift pump and filter seem to be OK.
IMG_7809.JPEG

- The flexible hose going from the filter to the IP looks a little bit rough, but it's not leaking at either end, so seems to be ok.

- The fuel shutoff solenoid clicks when you turn the ignition on. I could hear it clicking, but removed the top cover and tested it with a 12v source to make sure it was functioning properly. As far as I can tell, it is working and moving freely. The smaller solenoid (which I believe is just for the return line) does move, but not very far. I don't know how far it's supposed to move, or how important it is, but the shutoff solenoid is working fine.
IMG_7808.JPEG

- The pink wire for the shutoff solenoid is getting 12v, and I cleaned the contacts.

- The inside of the IP has some surface rust, it honestly doesn't look great, but everything I can see moves freely.
IMG_7806.JPEG

- Fuel is getting into the IP. When I first removed the top cover to test the solenoid, the level of fuel inside was higher than the seam, and fuel spilled out. After reinstalling it and cranking it a little, I removed the top cover again to show my brother how I'd tested it, and more fuel spilled out, so it is filling up the IP.

- I cracked all the injector nuts loose, and we cranked it for 10 seconds at a time, did this several times with and without the pink wire connected.

With the surface rust I'm seeing, I'm suspecting that something's seized inside it and it needs to come out, but I just wanted to check to make sure there's nothing obvious I've missed during my troubleshooting.

What are your thoughts?

sbgarage

That inside of pump lools sketchy. I tried looking for the db2 service/cleaning procedure on dieselplace but couldnt find it. It did involve some type of plunger being able to move freely

Also, could it have jumped time? A worn chain can do this and cause similar issues.

KallyLC

If it had jumped time, wouldn't it still be injecting, just on the wrong part of the stroke? I'm getting no fuel to the injectors at all.

I found a local diesel place that can recondition the pump, so I'm going to pull it out and get them to take a look at it tomorrow.