• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Death Wobble Dangerous side effect

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, I have had this death wobble driving me nuts and thanks to this list I found the solution
which are kits to replace springs and bearings in the forward knuckle joints. I was planning
on doing this this weekend, but earlier this week I started to loose steering....
Turn the wheel several revolutions and maybe it steers in that direction...Scared the
P__s out of me. Upon examination I found that one of the bolts that holds the steering gear to the frame had snapped off. one of the others was only hanging on by a thread.
These are grade 8 bolts.

My point here is, that if you are having problems with this death wobble, along with fixing that, I would automatically replace all 4 bolts that hold the stearing gear to the frame.
They may look ok, but you can bet they got a beating. I am just very lucky that I didn't have to get on to the freeway.

Bruce

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Berkeley?, are the hordes outside with pitchforks calling for your death and dismemberment? ;)

Good call, my 1008 had the wobble, but it was tires and a bad stabilizer. But I did have a non-mv chevy that had a cracked frame/loose bolts.

troll

I just ordered another frame brace (got one on my 1 ton rockcrawler) for the 1008 from offroaddesign. Their products aren't the cheapest but they are the best. I had the "wobble" a while back- had a defective tire. The frame break problem is more prevalent on the 1/2 tons as the frame is made of thicker steel on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

JohnFire

I remember seeing it somewhere that I think 85 and earlier cucv's need the frame brace for the steering box. I almost want to say it was in the TM

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: M1008 Death Wobble Dangerous side effect

JohnFire said:
I remember seeing it somewhere that I think 85 and earlier cucv's need the frame brace for the steering box. I almost want to say it was in the TM
You might be remembering the frame brace that was a retrofit for '85 and earlier trucks (the factory started installing it in mid-late '85), but it was not a steering box brace. It braces the frame right under the firewall, where the frame turns down to go under the cab. It was designed because lifting these trucks with a crane and spreader at close to GVW was too stressful and the frame would bend/crack here.

Bozor1000

troll said:
I just ordered another frame brace (got one on my 1 ton rockcrawler) for the 1008 from offroaddesign. Their products aren't the cheapest but they are the best. I had the "wobble" a while back- had a defective tire. The frame break problem is more prevalent on the 1/2 tons as the frame is made of thicker steel on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
That is very true about the frames. The 1/2 ton ones suck, which are the K10 and K5 blazer. I've owned a K20 and never snapped a frame. My K5 on the other hand snapped. ORD does have the best products. You can even weld a plate just aft of the steering box on the outside of the frame to strenghten it even more. That may be added protection on top of the ORD frame brace. I have also used Loc-tite on the steering box to keep the bolts in. But the vibration eventually will make them come loose. I always had to check these bolts and tighten them on a regular basis. Having 40 inch boggers really made those things vibrate loose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks