• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 electrical question

ultim8gamr

I recently bought a M1008 and have noticed a few things. When the truck is running a popping sound can be heard every few minutes or so. I have noticed that when the pop is hear, the headlights dim slightly and then go brighter. is this something thats normal? and what is causing this? Does anyone know how the military is on maintaining kingpins on the D60 up front? the truck has a bad case of death wobble after it hits bumps at 35MPH. suspension shop in town said its most likely the tires, but everyone over at Pirate4x4 is saying the kingpins should be rebuilt.
John

mangus580

The popping you are hearing, does it go away after a few minutes of running? I suspect you are hearing hte glow plugs cycle.

ultim8gamr

I thought that's what it might be, but i i'm pretty sure it continues even after a while. I had it idling in the driveway earlier this week to check fluids for 15 minutes or so and the sound continued the whole time. i haven't driven it in a week becuase it had the wrong pass side alternator so one is in the mail and I have only driven maybe 30mins at a time max on short trips in town b/c of the "death wobble" issue and i only bought it 2 weeks ago. Alternator should be coming in next monday along with new tires later that week so i should be able to get some more engine run time. Is there anything else that could be causing this noise?
JOhn

jumpmasterjim

You could check the tie rods end. My buddys' 1008 had the death wobble. brought it to a shop. They said all was good. We checked again and found both tie rod ends were toast. Cost us about 200 for new ones.

ultim8gamr

my dad heard it and said that it sounds like a relay. any relays under the dash/ in that area that would or should not be making that noise.
as for DW, the suspension shop did say the drag link was bad, but i dont know if that affects DW
John

acetomatoco

The glow plug relay on the engine bay firewall about top dead center will cycle off and on based on signal from the glo plug card and the heat sensor in the intake manifold..remove the small light blue wire and see if the noise stops... ACE

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: M1008 electrical question

acetomatoco said:
I had to do the tie rod ends on my M1008 at 30000... crummy GM stuff... one of them is very expensive....ACE

The one side is only expensive because, in there infinite wisdom they made it part of the actual tie-rod instead of a replacable end. you would be better to get a beefier tie-rod at that point if you plan to do offroading. you can get a "rockrod" for ~$150 as i recall.

MaximumBob

ultim8gamr said:
i haven't driven it in a week becuase it had the wrong pass side alternator so one is in the mail and I have only driven maybe 30mins at a time max on short trips in town b/c of the "death wobble" issue and i only bought it 2 weeks ago. Alternator should be coming in next monday
I've just started working on my M1008 - driver's side alternator is bad - haven't checked the passenger side yet. Check the local auto parts stores and they can't even order the alternator. Can I ask where you ordered yours and how much it cost. Also, in your search did you see any alternator rebuild kits?

Thanks,

MaximumBob

ultim8gamr

I got the pass alternator at NAPA auto parts, they have saved me a few times now trying to find parts for this truck.. The previous owner put a drivers side alternator (no isolated ground) on the pass side so now i have a backup if the drivers side goes bad :mrgreen: The parts number for the pass side alternator with the isolated ground is the Wilson 90-01-4277 and it totaled $258 including shipping and without the core. it had to be shipped from Idaho (guess they're not too popular). i think the 100amp alternator without isolated ground is a bit less than the one with the isolated ground. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/Project 5.htm is a rebuild link my dad and I found while working out the alternator problems. Hope it helps.

John

MaximumBob

Perfect - exactly what I was looking for ... haven't tried NAPA yet - tried Pep Boys and Advanced Auto - NAPA is right down the street. I'll try them today. Thanks again.

Bob

gasser

MaximumBob said:
I've just started working on my M1008 - driver's side alternator is bad - haven't checked the passenger side yet. Check the local auto parts stores and they can't even order the alternator. Can I ask where you ordered yours and how much it cost. Also, in your search did you see any alternator rebuild kits?
I would just go get yours rebuilt from a local shop; would cost you about $100 each and you would know that you have the right ones. Also, how did you know that the alternator is bad? Does your #2 Gen light come on when you put the Key into the Run position? If it doesn't, chances are your Alt is good and the dummy light is bad. Remember, the two dummy lights are in the charging circuit, so if these two lights are blown and/or the holdster isn't making a good connection, your alternators won't charge.

HTH,

-graham

MaximumBob

RE: Re: RE: M1008 electrical question

I actually pulled the alternator and tested it at two local auto parts stores - it's only putting out 11.7 volts. Unfortunately, I'm missing my instrument cluster and was hoping to start the truck without it - I've read that the alternators won't charge if the dummy lights [aka the whole instrument panel!] is missing. Are you sure this is the case with the M1008? Related, is there a workaround? - i.e. could I hard wire a bulb in the circuit? The big multiconnector is sticking out through the hole in the dash - I'm sure that I could locate the pinout somewhere.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

gasser

Re: RE: Re: RE: M1008 electrical question

MaximumBob said:
... I've read that the alternators won't charge if the dummy lights [aka the whole instrument panel!] is missing. Are you sure this is the case with the M1008? ...
Trying not to sound cocky, but I am 100% sure. I know this from personal experience. If your bulbs are not completing the circuit, the alts will not charge their respective batteries.

The only work around that I know is to locate the wires (that feed into the dash ribbon) and complete the circruits with gauges; however if you don't care about the individual circuits just put in a fuseable link in it's place and use the 28v gauge.

I don't know yet those wires are yet; i finally got my bulb holdsters to stay in there good, so at this moment (knocking on wood ....) it's charging. However, if I wiggle them or remove the bulbs, the 28v gauge drops into the between yellow/red or totally red.

HTH,

-graham

ultim8gamr

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: M1008 electrical question

I've noticed that the lights will dim when the relay clicks, when i install a stereo to the 12v acc source in the fuse box will i notice any volume difference when this happens? and its kinda odd, but when i let the truck sit and idle every morning to warm up it doesnt seem to do enable (do the pop of) the glow plug relay until i drive it. maybe its that im not noticing it in the time that it takes me to walk out to it, get in and drive off. I usually let it sit 3-5 minutes. Why is this?
John

MaximumBob

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: M1008 electrical question

Graham,

That's the confirmation I was looking for - I read the "missing light thing" somewhere, but to be honest, it sounds like such a poor design that I didn't believe it!

I'm in the midst of trying to locate an instrument panel (ideally with good light bulbs) which will take care of the problem!

Thanks again,

Bob

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: M1008 electrical question

MaximumBob said:
Graham,

That's the confirmation I was looking for - I read the "missing light thing" somewhere, but to be honest, it sounds like such a poor design that I didn't believe it!

I'm in the midst of trying to locate an instrument panel (ideally with good light bulbs) which will take care of the problem!

Thanks again,

Bob
I was pretty sure I mentioned it in another thread where the question was asked specifically about the gauge panel. I had said this, based on helping Graham diagnose his problem...

Oh well!

ultim8gamr said:
I've noticed that the lights will dim when the relay clicks, when i install a stereo to the 12v acc source in the fuse box will i notice any volume difference when this happens?
You shouldn't, and also, this relay should only be doing this for a few minutes after running. I suspect that your controller is shot, if it continues for more than 3 minutes or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks