• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 voltage regulator

scottodog

Does anyone know the part number for the passenger side alternator voltage regulator. Is it a 24 volt regulator? I bought 2 different voltage regulators for it and both start to smoke when I touch the battery cables to the battery. The original was overcharging the back battery and didn't have a part number on it.
Thanks Scott

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternators are IDENTICLE. Both 12 volt and "ISOLATED GROUNDS".

scottodog

I wonder why they are starting to smoke. I have 12 volts from the ground pin that goes to the other alt. and 24 at the large pin with a smaller wire and large red wire . There is 24 to the red wire on the two wire plug and I'm not sure what the other wire is.

Wolf.Dose

The regulators are mass production AC Delco parts and found in any GM used alts of that time. So it should be possible at the dealership to find the propper regulator. But do not forget the change the diode plate. If the regulator fails, the diode plate needs to be replaced as well according our 20 year experiance.
It is a 12 Volt system for both alts!
Wolf

Wolf.Dose

The diode plate is a spare part for the alt, should be at least available at the dealership of GM or at autoparts, automotive parts or NAPA parts, if they still have these old parts in the program.
Tecnically, the diode plate cuts down the alternating voltage of your altinator, which produces AC, half down to DC of the swelling type. You can not measure that, for your equipemt is not fast enough to follow the cycles or the half cycles.
In the alt the diode plate is that peace that has a lot of cooling fins and some contacts in the middle, three of its kind.
As far as I remeber from my last alt repair, the housing is fixed to the minus of the alt, with a M6 treat.
By the way, if you mix up 12 V, which is considered to be minus of the right side alt, and 24 volts, you produce big sparks with your batteries connected and after starting you make the alt smoke, which means you just killed ist, if it survived that long.
Wolf

scottodog

No chance I mixed up the wires they had rubber caps on them with two wires going to the pos side and one wire going to the neg side. No sparks just after about 3 seconds it starts smoking a little and I pulled the batt cable back off. I swapped the alt to the drivers side and ran it with the pass side disconnected and get 14 volt from the alt just have a problem when I put it to the drivers side.