• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Won't Start

Garagefull

May I suggest for Clarification that you study voltage drop in a DC resistive circuit. I’m going by memory but I believe those 13g plugs draw 78 amps. If all eight are working. This may give you a better understanding of how this circuit operates.

Garagefull

A bad glow plug, which is less resistance introduced into the circuit will allow a voltage increase across your resistor. That is the cause of your cascading effect.

2INSANE

When my resisters went bad I changed the glow plugs that had literally melted inside the heads. The fried resister was only doing 6.5 v out of itself and 6.5v to each new glow plug.

That is why I like the G60s. No matter what I gave them for voltage, they stay at a 10.5v each plug. If a plug goes bad... 10.5v to the other 7.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From my experience the system works beautifully as long as all of the components are good. I have disconnected the resister thinking the system had a flaw with the cascading effect ruining the glow plugs, but there is a reason glow plugs, burn out in the 1st place. The reason I found that I overlooked on different trucks, is the connection at the glow plugs itself must be solid on all 8 of them. If you have the original connectors that fit on the end of the glow plugs, they probably should be replaced as the 1st thing, ahead of any other mod, in my opinion. It was noted above that an original CUCV is going to be a rare bird... I think it already is.
Technically, both of my CUCV's are modified as I have applied the Doghead Starter Relay Modification. Additionally, I added the "High Note Horn" to my M1009 so I could have both tones. I will do the same to my M1008 unless I opt for a Train Horn. In Oklahoma, you better have a LOUD horn. Other than those modifications, my CUCV's are original.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks