• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008A1 new owner, new electrical issue!

4bogginchevys

hello, just bought m1008a1. it is in fine form (stock as a rock) so far it has some minor electrical issues. volt guage always reads even if ignition is off.
truck will start and run about 10 seconds and dies. very hard to restart, usually requires a jump from battery charger as batteries get low fast......will eventually start and run well, but front battery goes dead while engine runs for 30 minutes, that i beleive is only altenator issue...feel free to correct as necessary. by the way I have been reading threads for days, lots of great information:smile: i might be in the wrong forum? i am new to these controls

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The start and die issue is most likely a fuel /air leak. Sounds like the meter is defective, to confirm, pull the dash panel and check to see if there is voltage there with the key off. Front battery not charging, check with multimeter while running, should show around 14volts if it's charging.

4bogginchevys

thanks for responding, i'm lost with this setup. my other chevys are simple, and thank god for that. I am not electrically inclinded.....time for round 2? 8-10 guage wire from negative of 2nd batt to small junction block behind master cylinder, without this I have no power to ignition..... also, 8-10 guage wire from negative post second batt, to lower(as mounted)large post on 4 post solenoid next to master cylinder, I am unaware of it's task but both wires described here appear to be additions beyond stock:roll:

Last edited:
Did you check the air in the tires?

Seriously though, my M1009 had similar problems as far as electrical goes, and it turned out to be the sevice lights switch. That little puppy controls a lot more than just lights. :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks