• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009… No Headlights HELP

Zenk

Introduction: I own 2 CUCVs, a 87 1028 and a 86 1009.

My 1009 has all lights functioning except the headlights.

I have verified/done the following:
1.) No power at the headlights. Verified with multimeter.
2.) I have power at the 30 amp headlight fuse under dash. Verified with multimeter. 30amp Fuse is good.
3.) I have replaced the headlight switch with new switch. All lights except headlights work with this new switch.
4.) When I hit the bright/dim lever on the column, I do not get any high beam (blue light) on dash panel.
5.) Not relevant but, all dash lights have been replaced with LEDs except the two 194 bulbs for Gen1 and Gen2. Headlights didn’t work before this mod.
6.) Horn works also.

Where do I go next? TIA

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Introduction: I own 2 CUCVs, a 87 1028 and a 86 1009.

My 1009 has all lights functioning except the headlights.

I have verified/done the following:
1.) No power at the headlights. Verified with multimeter.
2.) I have power at the 30 amp headlight fuse under dash. Verified with multimeter. 30amp Fuse is good.
3.) I have replaced the headlight switch with new switch. All lights except headlights work with this new switch.
4.) When I hit the bright/dim lever on the column, I do not get any high beam (blue light) on dash panel.
5.) Not relevant but, all dash lights have been replaced with LEDs except the two 194 bulbs for Gen1 and Gen2. Headlights didn’t work before this mod.
6.) Horn works also.

Where do I go next? TIA
Have they ever worked or is this a new thing? Where are you getting the ground from for your meter?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Barrman

Power goes from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch to the firewall plug and then to the headlights. If you aren’t getting the hi beam indicator then that means power isn’t getting to or through the switch at the base of the steering column. Check power there.

Zenk

Have they ever worked or is this a new thing? Where are you getting the ground from for your meter?

They have never worked since I’ve owned the truck.
Testing the headlight connection I used the ground on the plug. But now that I think about it, I should have used another ground. You have me thinking it’s a ground issue near the headlight itself. I will do another test tomorrow and see if it’s a ground problem. Thanks for the reply, you may be on to something.

Zenk

Power goes from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch to the firewall plug and then to the headlights. If you aren’t getting the hi beam indicator then that means power isn’t getting to or through the switch at the base of the steering column. Check power there.
Thanks for the reply, I will give that a look In the morning. I’m not exactly sure what the dimmer switch looks like, but once I get in there, I probably will notice it.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have never worked since I’ve owned the truck.
Testing the headlight connection I used the ground on the plug. But now that I think about it, I should have used another ground. You have me thinking it’s a ground issue near the headlight itself. I will do another test tomorrow and see if it’s a ground problem. Thanks for the reply, you may be on to something.
Ok that says a ton! The ground on the plug is bolted right above the headlight but on the engine side just under the hood. The drivers side should be bolted to where the coolant res is...passenger side is right in front of the front battery. That ground goes right to that plug. Probably what you're missing. The high beam indicator, if I remember right, needs the bulb to finish the circuit to turn on the blue light on the cluster. I could be wrong on that but pretty sure. You did say you swapped in leds it could be it needs spun to get the polarity right.

Zenk

Ok… turns out it was the dimmer switch on the steering column just like @Barrman indicated. I pulled the connector to the switch and jumpered it, badabing badaboom the lights worked.
I have a new switch on order off Amazon.

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me nail this one down!