• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 Arctic Heater fuel pump

bcrobbins

Hi All,

I have a M1009 with an arctic heating kit that includes two heaters under the hood, one for the coolant/oil (I believe), and one for the batteries and cab. The coolant/oil heater was disconnected when I got it, but the battery/cab heater worked fine. The fuel pump on the driver side does not seem to be working. When I engage the heater from the control unit in the cab, I can hear the heater on the passenger side click, but no sound from the pump. When the system worked, I could hear the pump working before the heater fired. The pump feed both of the heaters, and in the process of replacing the pump the second time, I blocked the outlet for the coolant/oil heater with a brass fitting. I don't think this should effect anything, but I want to give all information for readers.

I'm thinking this is an electrical issue and that the pump is not getting power. Is there a systematic way to test/troubleshoot this? I have rudimentary knowledge of using a multi meter, otherwise, I don't know anything about electricity. I can test for voltage, amperage. and resistance. Does anyone here know where to test the system and what to look for.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

snowtrac nome

its been quite a while since I worked on those old arctic heaters the coolant heater was disconnected because of reliability issues the 10530 should work fine as long as the atomizer and glass rod are good. I will do some looking and see where the fuel pump gets its electrical signal bit I think its from the card on the heater. I have a few extra heaters if you are interested

bcrobbins

Thanks a bunch! I'm pretty sure the heater itself is still good, because I can hear it trying to fire when I hold the toggle switch in the start position. I don't hear the fuel pumping though. As you probably know, they are on different sides of the engine well and it's to tell by ear which is which. There is a wire coming through the firewall that I assume provides power. There is a round rubber "plug-in" connection between the wire from the cab and the one going to the fuel filter. I'm thinking I should test that wire, and I will after I replace my stolen multimeter. I just don't know what the measurements should be if I do get a reading.

Thanks Again.

snowtrac nome

the fuel pump and supply voltage is 24 volts the solenoids are 24 volts but the igniter is 12 volts the voltage is dropped through the big resister. I at one time would convert them to work on 12 volts, but with parts being expensive, and fuel being so expensive in the bush. I'm happy to wait for the coolant to warm up before I remove my jacket