• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009, brake light?

TajMan

My buddy and I have an '86 Chevy Blazer CUCV 4X4 6.2 Diesel here.
Was originally used at Hill Air Force Base, UT. 33K miles, only damage is a little rust on the rear tailgate.

Some wheelin' was done, and rubber brake line ripped just over the rear diff.
In Salt Lake Utah, with no new brake suppliers having any new rubber lines available, we eventually pulled a line from the tear-a-part junk yard from an old Blazer.

Line fixed, both sides of the rear bled, fluid kept full. The rear brakes work fine now (I know they are independent systems), however the brake light is still on.
What can we check to get the light off?, need to do emissions/inspection now..

-Taj

Crash_AF

Did you bleed the front brakes too? Might need to do that.

Also, did you use DOT5 fluid with the brakes? The stock CUCV has silicon brake fluid and there is some debate on the compatibility between DOT3 and DOT5 fluids in the system.

When I've had dash brake light issues in the past, after bleeding the system, a couple of good hard stomps on the brake pedal re-centered the valve and turned the light off.

Later,
Joe

jimm1009

If you are talking about the brake warning light on the dash then you will need a full system bleed to get it to go away. The plug is on the proportioning valve on the front center frame area below the radiator and you may want to check for corrosion too.

If you are talking about the actual brake lights not going out then the electric switch is on the brake pedal bellcrank support and it is more than likely broken.
Both front and rear rubber brake lines are available at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and also from LMC Truck Parts (on line store).
O'Reilly's has a life time warranty on them and the price is not too bad.
If you need the brake light switch then they have it too as well as Autozone.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS: You have DOT 5 silicone fluid in that CUCV unless someone did an un-authorized change while Uncle Sam had it.

jimm1009

ODdave

did you check to make shure the parking brake is not slightly depressed and causing your light? or the wire to it is grounded somewhere?.

TajMan

Its not the parking brake.

We'll replace all our mixed brake fluid now oops, flush the lines well, things should be ok after.

ODdave

when you unpluged the wire from the prop. valve did the light go off? i never heard of mixing fluids triggering the light? it is just a simple shuttle valve. well good luck anyways