• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Brakes

donalloy1

Have 1986 M1009 w/low miles and what appears to be original brakes. Replaced back shoes, wheel cylinders and parts kit. Shoes were worn down almost to metal. Hers my question.
With hydraulic setup on M1009. Do back brakes wear out faster? Almost positive fronts have not been replaced. Usually fronts wear out faster. Even with disc's up front.
Feels much better during braking now. Backs were pretty much toast! Any brake service input is welcome. DMLII sends...

rnd-motorsports

Norm is to replace the front twice to the rears once no matter what power type most likely the rears may have been ajusted too tight if you notice the rears wear out again may look into replaceing proportioning valve may be bad.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto:and :ditto:very good points there is always more posabiltys and things to check both of these could lead to the problem. Also others the rubber hose at the rear end could be bad but look good inside colapsing and not releiveing presure rare but have seen it Keep an eye on them check after a while.

BIG_RED

I heard these trucks have a different prop. valve for the breaks than the civvy ones.. I heard that the civvy one's have some adaptive system to put more power to rear brakes when the truck is angled up at the front (more power to lowest wheels = better stopping). And that these trucks don't have that, instead they always put more power to the rears than the civvy vehicles (but still more power to the front than the back). I noticed that i can lock up my rear wheels without locking up my fronts while cornering hard and braking. Looks like I pulled the E-brake :grin:

rnd-motorsports

Not pos. about the 1009 but the 1008,1028 or pickups have a leveling valve inline with the rear breaks to adjust brake presure under a load to the rears as far as the proportioning valve being dif can't say for sure will look into it but cant see why they would be dif. still same brake system as the civys they make the hydro boast system on both but anything is pos!

Barrman

M1009 does not have the level proportioning valve. Just the one up front. If you brake light isn't on under the speedo, then assuming the light works. You are getting pressure to both ends. Something else to check out though. Do the front brakes even work?

donalloy1

lots of great information. thanks to all. maybe someone left ebrake on? thought it strange rear wore first. either way she stops very well now after rears serviced. dml2 sends...:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks