• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 CUCV Rebuild

br44

Hi Guys!

Just got my first M1009 from Nellis AFB about a month or two ago and I am plugging away fixing it up. It's sorta clean with 27000 miles on it. Just about everything has something wrong with it and I have slowly fixed a thing here and there. When the truck arrived, I opened the hood to see what I had (I had it Towed) and I soon discovered several things. I found out that for some reason the Army had maintained it up till 2010 and everything was really clean under the hood. The batteries are only a Year old and the Air filter is 2 years old. The belts are pretty much rotted and will have to be replaced. I got inside the truck and found out the seat belts were shot. I ordered new seat belts from a place called Seatbeltplanet | The Worldwide Authority on Aftermarket Seatbelts and I received them after about a week. When I pulled the old seat belts out I found out that they had Blue Loktite on the threads (lot of pulling and cussing. While I waited for the seat belts I started going over the rest of the truck. I dumped the diesel and flushed the system. All of the lined were pristine and clean. I filled her up and checked the oil. The oil was a brand new amber and at a perfect level. Amazingly after a very short glow plug wait and 2 seconds cranking, it started perfectly. That is when I discovered cucv's are LOUD :mrgreen:. I am planning on ripping out the MESSED UP flooring and replacing it with a sound dampening rubber. While I was screwing with my messed up carpet I discovered about half an inch of mud on my floor under my carpet along with random stuff in the mud. I even found a friggen artists paintbrush under my flooring. After I got my truck started i Tried EVERYTHING. That is when i discovered a strange glitch in my blackout lights. I ended up opening my instrument cluster and yanking out wires. I don't know what was wrong but suddenly my lights all worked again! lol. All of my lights still work and are nice and bright. Then I tried my wiper and discovered the motor was shot. I somehow got the hood open with lots of banging and more cussing and yanked the motor. The motor had some stripped teeth in the gear, making it worthless. I ordered a new motor and got it a day after the seat belts. Also sometime in between all of this i looked to see if i had a license plate light. I guess you all know cucv's don't have plate lights, But I bet none of you found a smoke grenade stuck in the bumper while looking for the lights[thumbzup]. No biggy... it was used.
anyways...
Oh yea and I also seafoamed the truck. That was Fun:grd:. In the process of seafoaming I found the tranny dipstick and checked(the truck was still running)
Some numbskull overfilled the dad gum thing by a QUART! I had the joy of siphoning out tranny fluid. Have any of you guys had this happen. If you ever discover this... DO NOT USE YOUR MOUTH TO SIPHON THE FLUID
It Tastes Terrible:drool:
When I was putting in the seatbelts it started to rain... and i found out EVERY SINGLE window/door/top seal leaks ALOT.

Finally got the wiper motor in... Wipers move great but the washer is non existant. I know it isnt clogged because I hooked a garden hose to the washer hose and i managed to squirt my windows. I think i have an electrical gremlin in my control lever.

BTW does anyone know a good replacement for that funky rectangular fuel filter? It strikes me as potentially sucky. also does anyone know what the civilian version of the stock military tires are (brands ect)?

Man this was long winded but I wanted to share some of my experiences.

P.S
I know you guys are going to be sayingnopics
But I couldnt find my camera if my life counted on it.
as soon as i find the dang thing ill take some pictures(as soon as I figure out how to post them). Thank you for reading... Steel Soldiers Is AWESOME

BIG_RED

I replaced my OEM "box" fuel filter with a Stanadyne FM100 spin on for under $150 including all parts (including ALL the fuel lines) and shipping to Canada. Stanadyne set-ups are a little more expensive than some of the napa/walmart filters that I've read about other members using, but they are made by stanadyne (the guys who made your original filter) with good quality tight fitting parts, and they take the same filter cartridge as some of the construction equipment we have around here - so I can actually find replacement filters. I'm happy with mine. Good luck!

Welcome to the addiction! By the way, nopics Sounds like you got a helluva lot done to your rig. You will find a lot of great info on this site! Just make sure you do a search on the site before you ask simple questions! Be sure you read the CUCV Wiki article Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite-there you will find a great deal of information. You will get flamed by some our grumpier, senior members if you ask common questions that have been answered hundreds of times...:eek: There isnt really a "civilian" tire persay. It's all a matter of personal preference that will fit your driving style. Any 31x10.5x15's will fit a stock 1009. As far as the fuel filter goes, the stock boxes are known for having issues, like letting air in the lines. However, if your truck starts and runs fine, why fix it? As big red said, you can add on a Spin on filter and filter base from napa/wally mart, or you can get a set up from stanadyne. I personally have the Napa filter set up and couldnt be happier with it. It cost me about 65$ in parts, and about 1 hour of labor. It fixed my starting problems! Im sure big red could point you in the right direction if you wanted a stanadyne set up, and if you click the link, it will take you to a thread detailing what you need and how you do a spin on fuel filter conversion. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/36435-my-cucv-spin-fuel-filter-mod.html Good Luck!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks