• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Differential

mangus580

Higher? or do you mean Lower?

The 1009 uses the GM 10bolt axle.... they are a dime a dozen. You shouldnt have a hard time finding some 3.42 or 3.73 gears. I would suggest 3.42's if you are keeping the stock transmission, and 3.73's for with Overdrive.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
enything less then 3.42s will put a serious strain on trans and motor

mangus580

Re: RE: M1009 Differential

73m819 said:
enything less then 3.42s will put a serious strain on trans and motor
Hence the problem with the stock 3.08's

If you have lifted, and put bigger tires on it, I would suggest 3.73 or 4.10. It all depends on what you have done to it. Bigger tires effectivly make the gearing even higher yet. Putting more strain on the motor, and IMO causing worse fuel mileage.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: M1009 Differential

about the only time 3.08s or 3.42s are realy usefull for straight road driving, no off road, as mike said with big tires a 3.08 would really work a auto trans and engine, wilh big tires i would not go below 3.73 if any off roading is going to happen, still will be a strain

mangus580

I would say for 31-33" tires, you would be ok with 3.42 but 3.73 might give you similiar mileage, with better performance. If you go bigger than 33" tires, I would go 3.73 or 4.10's.

HTH

acetomatoco

The M1009 has one of the lowest numerical gear sets available... To get better mileage you need to put in an overdrive and take out everything in the truck which is heavy and is doing nothing to help you as creature comforts... go slow....put nice radial street tires on it and never put it in 4wd... If you want good mileage... get a Prius....

JohnFire

I am waiting on a smart car. I have seen those when I was stationed in germany, and watched quite a few crash tests on them. Surprisingly they hold up for a little little toy car. Seen a SUV that I have taken the door off with my bare (gloved)hands after an accident. The whole door fell apart. Made patient extrication pretty easy. :D

mangus580

Mileage isnt all about lower gear numbers (higher ratios). You need to keep in mind that your engine wants to run at an optimal RPM.

Take my 1009 for instance. I have stock 3.08 gears still, and the 700R4 transmission. At 65mph, I am running 1524 RPM. When I finally switch to 3.73 gears, I will be running 1839 RPM.

Now, the optimal Torque/HP combo in the 6.2 engine occurs in the 1800-1900 RPM range. This is where your ideal engine conditions are, such that if it were setup for constant speed for a pump or something of that type of use, it would be set to run at that RPM. This is where you will get the best mileage under a 'load'.

I do agree, that it is possible under certain conditions, that the 1500 RPM might produce a better mileage (nice flat expressway), but how many of us routinely drive just that?

Now lets talk in terms of the stock tranny, since thats what most 1009 owners have.

With the stock 3.08 gears, at 65mph, you are turning roughly 2300 RPM. With 3.73's it will be 2776. In order to match the final drive ratio of the overdrive tranny even with the 3.73's you would have to go down to a 2.59.

I had set out writing this with the intention of proving a gear change is warrented in the 1009. What it seems I have done, is really a tranny change is needed followed by a gear change (incidentally, I was already headed on this path). The problem with just 3.08 gears and the stock tranny, is you dont have enough gears in the transmission to have the 'power' you want for every day driving.

For a great site for running all these #'s go to http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

They dont list the 3.08 gears, but for all practical purposes the 3.09 is the same. The 1009 has a TH400 transmission stock, and the overdrive I have installed is the TH700R4. The transfer case is a NP208.

Glad to answer any more questions...

georiga4x4

if u drive stop and go trafic like i do go with all stock with 35's you will have sugnificant fuel economy, may require triming of fenders or flares but well worth it

georiga4x4

now keep in mind if its city traffic not highway you need the tranny adjusted, i live in atlanta were its always stop ang go so i hardly get over 25 and was originaly getting verry bad fuel economy, (12, 14, mpg) I had my buddy adjust the transmisson so it would go in to third at 37 this paired with my 35's worked realy well and i later got about 16-18 city mpg.