• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 engine problems

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I suddenly got a number of problems with my m1009 today after moving a load of firewood 4 miles between my yard and house in an M101. When I dropped the trailer, the truck began to make a tinny rattling noise and started to smoke lightly (greyish smoke). On the way back to the yard, the truck lost all power, began to pour out black smoke, felt like a miss, and occasionally had a poppong/clunk noise. When I got to the yard, it was making a popping sound from around the air cleaner area and when I would bring the revs up, it would pour out more black/greyish smoke. Eventually, it just stalled and would only restart after lots of cranking and holding the throttle all the way down but it would still not rev up. It currently has 83k on the clock and has had a full service with fluids and all filters about 100 miles ago. Additionally, I tried another fuel filter to no avail. This truck always idled rough and rattled like it was going to fall apart ever since I got it from GL but it has never let me down. I am thinking either the injector pump or injectors or both but I would like to make sure it is in fact them before I tear into it. My other tought is that I may have swallowed a valve but wouldn't that simply lock the motor up when the affected piston is in the up stroke? What do you guys think.......

Thanks in advance,

Ziggy

JDToumanian

You'll want to pull the glow plugs and use a compression tester in there (glow plug compression adapters are available out there or you can make one from an old plug) to make sure before you start dropping money on the fuel system, but my 1009 showed similar behavior when it's injector pump failed.... I add 1/2 quart of Lucas synthetic 2-stroke oil per fuel fill-up to keep my new pump like new.

Jon

JAsher45

it may be the pump... but my money is on valve train.... the popping from the intake is the tattle tale that either a valve or lifter is going bad. pop the valve covers and take a look... these engines will swallow valves if it breaks one

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks