• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Floor Pan Replacement

donalloy1

Ok, time for the tough project in my mind. SS'ers, please help me with proper way to replace floor pan in M1009! I am very good with working steel, but have not done much auto body work. Have replacement sheet metal, welder and all power tools I should require. Would rather take my time and do it right than hack it! ALL hints, procedures, processes etc... etc... WILL be appreciated. Thanks, DMLII sends...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace only what you have to. Just because you have a big replacement panel does not mean you have to cut out that big of a piece. Measure twice cut once. Are you going to leave a little overlap or try to butt the pieces together?

donalloy1

i like your advice. instead of cutting out material to facilitate replacement piece. just cut out what is damaged and fabricate patch panels? should be able to accomplish that. plan on overlapping. rather it not look like a quilt when done though. pretty extensive behind, underneath and on door side of both seats. dml2 sends...

DXTAC

I have the same issue. I have about 3 maybe 4 areas that I need to replace. I have a good friend that owns a body shop and I brought it to him and he said cut out what needs to be replaced and use epoxy to fasten it back in. No shops really weld panels/floors on/in anymore with a few exceptions and for aesthetics in some areas. He told me to use 3M Automix Panel Bonding adhesive. HERE is a great video. This is what I'm gonna do - eventually!!

Thanks,

donalloy1

will take many pics of before and after. wife does not care for paint job ( woodland camo ). finally got her to drive it though yesterday. pretty much have completely gone over service issues. feel comfortable w/her driving now. cannot wait to finish removing cancer. dml2 sends...:-D

rnd-motorsports

I agree for a small repair! 3m makes a great product. But are for the cars of today,parts are lighter some plastic and most are assembled that way , For larger area's I would still weld the panel. 2cents

DXTAC

He uses a cutting wheel most of the time as fuel lines, brake lines, frame rails, unibody etc. run beneath the floors. I guess if you're sure nothing is under the area you are cutting use the plasma cutter.

Most of the repairs I am going to be making over the winter will be shoebox sized or smaller but he uses it for larger pans as well. I asked him and he said he's never had a complaint or had to re-repair a job due to the epoxy letting loose. He said it unbelievably tough stuff and when done right the areas around the epoxied seams will give before the epoxy itself. I'll post pics as I do mine but that's gonna be a while.

DXTAC

After a visit back to my buddies body shop I have decided to just do the small repairs myself. I went to a Rhinoliner and Line X shop and I will be going with the Line X as it is MUCH thicker and will be better in the long run for sound deadening. The Rhinoliner was just TOO thin. Also, he said he can build it up in areas to slope to the doors for drainage and leave some plugged drain holes for easy cleaning!! All for $600.00!!!!!! I just have to have everything out of it except 1 seat.

Thx,

Milkman357

3M adhesive...

It looks pretty slick...

but

I am pretty confident in my metal skills (A&P Mechanic) so I think I will weld..

Did you get your floor panels from LMC?

Good advice.. only cut out what you need to cut out.

Any Pictures yet?

Looks like for around $350 I can get a new floor.. and extend service life another 20 years! lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks