• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 gears and recovery question

realm

What are the stock gears on an M1009? 3.08?

I saw the towing thread, but how is it for a recovery vehicle and getting trucks out of mud?

For a diesel it seems to have a lot of torque but seems to have quite a bit of trouble going up hills, so is it capable of pulling a truck out of mud/snow fairly easily?

Generally higher gears means better highway speed, but even at 3.08 (if that's right) the thing tops ot at like 65. How does that work? I would understand if it was topping out with 4.56 gears or something, but is this a result of the 3-speed transmission? Low diesel RPM's? Diff gearing?

Thank you.

joeypushjr1

yes it has 3.08 and i still have them in mine but changing that to like a 3.73 or 4.10 but as far as mud and snow i dsont have a problem i yanked a 30' box truck up and embankment plastered in the mud and back onto the road a mth ago and didnt hesitaes doing it .. as far as power up a hill you have to rember i think stock on theose engines are like 200 something dont rember .. i put the banks sidwinder turbo in mine and it helps alot i dont have problems on hills or with a load but it does slow a tiny bit on hills big hills... but hey its my 2cents..........joe

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Stock is 160hp for the J code engines. Torque is up near 265ft/lbs I want to say.

Going up hills at high speed and pulling a stuck truck out are two different things. You get to best use the low torque curve and the help of low range at low speed.

I've wondered about finding a set of 3.42 geared axles and putting them under a M1009 with stockish tires. Bit more pep but shouldn't run out of breath much faster.