• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 glow plug question

TURKEY131

On average how long does it take for the glow plugs to heat up? I just put two new 1000 cca batteries in and I have to wait a good 20-30sec for her to fire up. If she has been sitting for a few days it usually take about three times for her to fire up. Is my glow plug relay going? Also the wipers move very slow no matter what setting the switch is on any ideas?

ida34

If you have one or more glow plugs out then it will take longer to get the temp up so it will start. Quick and dirty method is to pull the wires off the glow plugs and attach the clip of a test light to the pos of the front battery. Touch the terminal on the glow plug. If it light then you should be good. If it does not light then that glow plug is bad.

TURKEY131

Still have not had a chance to look at the plugs but I had another question. After she starts up the glow plug light comes back on for a few seconds and then turns off. Any idea what this means? thanks for the replies. :-D

LanceRobson

The glow plugs will cycle on and off until the engine warms up a bit. If you watch the ammeter/voltmeter you'll see the charging indicating needle drop when the glow plugs energize and the engine will load up a bit. The process is often accompanied by screeching belts, if the belts are at all loose or glazed.

You haven't stated what the ambient temps are but 20-30 seconds seems a little long.

If a couple of plugs are bad the rest still get all the amperage intended for 8 plugs and the failures accelerate so, check them soon.

We throw a full set of Wellman 070s in every CUCV as a preventive measure, at the first opportunity after buying the truck. It also lets you better troubleshoot any other starting problems. Wellmans can be had from "INDUSA" on Ebay for about $65 or $70 a set. They're the best plug out there.

If the truck doesn't start the first time, do you turn the ignition all the way off and let the plugs warm up again?

Also, on the back of the sun visor are the starting directions. Above 32 degrees, depress the pedal halfway. Below 32 degrees, depress it all the way.

Long cranking times may also indicate a compression, an air filter or fuel issue. How old is the fuel filter? Have you checked the lines? Is the air filter dirty?

We normally replace all the vacuum and fuel lines, right off the bat. For about $10 and an hour it really cuts down on problems. You should be able to buy 4 filters for under $40 on Ebay. Just search "CUCV" for them and the plugs.

Remember, these are, typically, 23-26 years old. I hate being "nickled and dimed" with maintenance issues. When we buy one, we go through the whole truck in the first month or so. U joints, fluids, filters, hubs, brakes, hoses, plugs etc. Usually costs $150-200 and the peace of mind is priceless.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks