• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Glow plug replacement

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I need to change my glow plugs.
I cannot download the TM's on my work computer.

Exactly how do I do it, once I have a new set (8 new plugs)?

I would like to go with the "Bosch Duraterms", from what I have read here,
they go in without any mods, so that is the way I want to go.

If anyone could give me a simple to follow procedure (step 1 = ??, step 2 = ??, etc...) That would be appreciated.

Thank you, good day, God bless you,

CJ

P.s. I plan to do the work myself, so I can learn from the experience...

Midnight Rider

This is the way I do it.

Disconnect both (-) negative battery cables.

Pull cables off of the ends of the glow plugs.

Get a deep well socket of the correct size. Sorry I don't remember the size even though I just replaced 3 bad glow plugs this weekend. :grin:
You will probably want an extension on some of the plugs. The plugs at the rear of the engine were the hardest for me to do. Especially on the passenger side.

Take old ones out.

Put new ones in.

Put cables back on.

Put (-) negative cables back on batteries.

You're done.

jatonka

If you buy AC 13G glow plugs your problems are solved. about $8 each at Napa, so there are cheaper places to get them. They REALLY work. sometimes make the fanbelts squeal on a cold morning, but they start the engine. JT out

Hasdrubal

AC13's..are you serious. How are his problems solved? This is an old outdated design, prone to burning out and or swelling. You want to use AC 60G's. they are the current replacement.

Midnight Rider

If he uses AC60G's, like I did, he might have to grind the spade down on the glow plug to fit the cables. I guess he could also just replace all of the cable ends, but grinding down the spade was much easier.

I don't know about the Bosch plugs he is talking about, but perhaps they will fit without any modification.

Sasquatch

If you do a seach there was a recent glowplug thread that had the Bosch part number, haven't heard anything bad about the Bosch plugs.

The job is pretty easy unless the old plugs are swollen and you can't get them out, again do a search and you'll find lots of info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks