• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Keys

donalloy1

Have been told all keys are same for M1009? If true, those in know could easily steel my ride. Should I change out door, tailgate and ignition lock/tumbler assy's. If yes, whats easiest way to accomplish.

CycleJay

Hello Don,

You do not need to go that far.
Just use a brand new padlock on the chain that is mounted under the driver's seat,
wrap it around the steering wheel, than padlock it.

Also, as with any vehicle, do not keep any valuables in your M1009.
Park it in safe locations..
Keep the windows rolled up and doors locked at all times when left unattended.

Sometimes it may come in handy if someone else has a key that will work on your M1009.

I learned this from experience not too long ago.

By the way, most of the guys that have these, from my experience so far, have been pretty good guys.
I think it would be very unlikely that any of them will steal your ride, just because they have a key to it.

Have a good day,

CJ

rnd-motorsports

Yes the keys are the same for all m1009 even worse the same for all m series trucks 1008 ,1028, etc. the change is up to you but for the ease of just getting out and not to have to wonder than yes change the switch and locks if you want at least the ingnition any part store will get what you need hardest part about it is getting steering wheel off.

CycleJay

You are welcome.

I do not worry about it myself.
There are worse things to worry about in this country these days anyway.

Good day,

CJ

jj

You COULD just change the ignition key cylinder. That way, anyone "in the know" can still get in the truck with the standard key, but they can't unlock the steering column and start the truck. My ignition key cylinder failed, and this is what i ended up with. The only really difficult part in changing out the key cylinder is depressing the spring under the column lock disc to remove the snap ring that secures the column lock disc. Special tools exist, but strong thumbs and another pair of hands will work. With the lock disc out, the key cylinder is just held by a set screw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks