• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Lift Suggestions needed

Hey all, I'm just finishing up putting on 4" lift springs in the front of my M1009 K5... My biggest question is do I need to correct my pinion angle? (The spring is symmetrical and doesn't have any shims on it, just as you'd find on any K5 lift kit for the front springs). I know the idea behind the driveshaft angles and all, but here is why I ask. The front driveshaft as many if you are familiar with are double cardian, so I'd imagine that the front pinion should point to the tcase? Only thing is that I heard shimming the front can cause drive line issues from messing up the caster? Or should I just leave it? Thanks y'all!

Ordak

From what I have read, putting on a 4" Lift does not mess up the pinion angle enough to make it so far out of wack to have to shim it. Also did you have a local shop make up the springs or did you buy it somewhere else?

It messed up my rear so bad that I had to get another driveshaft haha (I made a thread a long time ago about that, but I'm shackle flipping and doing a double cardan driveshaft so there wont be vibration) only thing is that 4 inches is certainly enough to change the driveshaft angle a bit... Which makes makes concerned about whether or not I need to shim it. Now obviously if I get crazy vibrations in 4wd then it would be a good idea, bit I want to avoid it if I can so my drive line can be consistent without having to get everything realigned. I never saw anyone having to shim the front either. I have seen lots about the rear end though.

Also they are rough country front springs, so I didn't have a shop make em

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shackle flips are horrible for rear driveline angles but I know we are talking front here. Shimming the front to correct driveline angles will toss your steering angles off a cliff. Caster is a ctitically important setting for drivability. I would only shim as a dead last resort and I would be prepared to cut and reweld the knuckles to get my caster back in order.

Hey Recovry4x4 thanks for the input, I will keep this in mind and try not to shim it unless things get terrible. I am a little doubtful that I will have to myself, however with the shimming issues I had in the past with the rear, I am going into the front cautiously and prepared to possibly deal with some issues there. I am shackle flipping the rear since my new springs in the rear messed everything up. Here is the thread where we had to reach that conclusion (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?155874-Static-Pinion-Angle-Thoughts) also, there will be a custom driveshaft made, so it's worth a try

86m1028

Your frt should be a direct bolt in, no shimming needed.
Driveshaft will probably need a little clearance work on the cv tabs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks