• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Lock cyclinder removal and replacement

paramilusmc

So I got my new lock cylinder for my M1009 tailgate lock from LMC, and after some probing around I realize I have no idea on how to do the swap.

I don't want to rip the entire tailgate apart but if that's the route I have to take then so be it.

Anyone done this before that could shed some light on the procedures for replacing the lock cylinder?

Grega

Did you get a new spring and lock cam? I ended up taking out the crank assembly which isnt too bad, just about a half hour job. I spent around an hour trying to figure how it all goes together and ended up taking the assembly to a local body shop where they put it together. After I seen how it goes, it wasnt that bad, but there is no way I can describe it yo you. Your best bet is to find the old guy at body shop that put alot of these on back in the 70s and 80s.

joeypushjr1

well youll have to either do it from inside your truck and jump in and out couple times or lay open tail gate and open window cause youll have to take out the panle on inside on tailgate to get inside the tail gate to the nuts holding on the handlebut youll have to play with the window crank to adjust the arms to see each nut. or at least i had to . its annoying but farley easy.

paramilusmc

I removed the tailgate today and brought it inside (raining outside) stripped pretty much the whole thing down replaced the lock cylinder and now it still wont work. Inside there is a little ring on the backside of the clutch that doesn't seem to really hold anything on.

I seriously feel like I wasted a days work on this thing. I used the stock spring and pawl I mean everything else should have worked.

Grega

The lock cylinder,spring and paw hold everything together inside the clutch. And it has to go together a certain way. I should have taken a piture of mine after it was together before i installed the crank. I dont know for sure what the washer is that your talking about. Like I said before, I took my assembly to my body shop and it still took them about a half hour to get it all together, as its been awhile since they had to do one. Charged me $20, but it was worth it as I would have never figured it out on my own, I thought I was missing parts but wasnt.