• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 max load out and towing

paramilusmc

Looking to find out how much a stock M1009 can tow (actual rated tow capacity, not concerned with the max you have towed) and how much (weight) you can pack inside this thing. Looking to find out how much I can pack this thing with and tow simultaneously. Again looking for actual military specs.

Also anyone know what kind of up hill and side slope angles these stock vehicles can take?

Thank you all in advance.

Tanner

Quick check on 'net says the following:

"The M1009 was rated for a 1,200 pound payload and a 3,000 pound towed load."

This link says 1200-1500 lb payload with 3k pound towed load...

TRUCK, UTILITY, 3/4 TON, 4X4 M-1009

If you tow 3k, you're going to want a braked trailer; short wheelbase on Blazers leads to huge 'pucker-factor' in situations where you're towing heavy loads and have to panic stop or when you encounter windy driving conditions. And I'd recommend choosing one of the two options - decide whether to Load OR Tow, but I don't think I'd want to try doing both at same time...

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just opened up the -10 TM. It indacates max load of 1200# and a max towed load of 1200# with a max tongue weight of 100#. Refer to page 2-57 of TM 9-2320-289-10.

Tanner

You can tow until something blows - in this case, the transmission is the typical 'fusible link' - the TM more than likely lists 1200 lbs towed to keep the 'idiot factor' reduced... there'll always be some idiot out there that chooses to overload the rig & wreck it -

Is there a sticker in the door jamb that list GCVW rating? I'd say to follow the TM; the transmission you save might be your own...

'Tanner'

ryan77

I think if you put a class 3 hitch a good tranny cooler you could tow 4-5k pounds with a diesel and turbo 400 that should be no problem...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks