• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: New tailgate window problem

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I just started having a problem I never had before with my M1009.

Tonight I was cranking up the tailgate window to lock the it up for the night.
After coming back from the MV show in Kennesaw today.

When it got most of the way up, the crank stopped, and will not budge at all.

I did not force it further, since I do not want to break anything.

So what could be the problem? And the solution?

It will go all the way down fine, but keeps stopping at about the same point,
on the way up. leaving about a fist sized gap between the top of the window,
and the window frame...

Any information would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you..

Have a good night,

CJ

Brutusdog

window

Mine does the same thing. If you take the inside cover off, you can see the glass and the scissor mechanism. The bottom track is probably catching on the scissor. I have not been able to permantly fix it. My temp fix is to leave that cover off. When the window stops, reach over and give the bottom of the glass a slight tug while you crank. Once you get past the hang up spot, it will close fine. If you figure out a perm fix, let me know.

Armada

Take the cover off the gate and check the side channels for obstructions. The felt in the channels deteriorate, comes apart, and can get pinched up in the track. If you haven't done so already, spend a little time and PM the entire mechanism. Adjusting, lubing, and replacing worn/broken parts will make a huge difference. The rear windows should take no effort at all to raise and lower.

mistaken1

Mine does the same thing. If you take the inside cover off, you can see the glass and the scissor mechanism. The bottom track is probably catching on the scissor. I have not been able to permantly fix it. My temp fix is to leave that cover off. When the window stops, reach over and give the bottom of the glass a slight tug while you crank. Once you get past the hang up spot, it will close fine. If you figure out a perm fix, let me know.
New side runners (window channels) with new felt should hold the window in the proper alignment to keep the track from catching. The only place I know for new ones is LMC trucks and they are very proud of them.

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I followed your advice, took the cover off, and looked for any problems, saw none.
So I lubed it all up, so it functions freely..
The problem turned out to be the side channels on the passenger side in the removable roof section.
The window was catching on the felt/track on the way up, so I will need to order them from LMC truck.

Anyone happen to know the part name, number for a 1985 K5 blazer?

I just need to hold the window on the way up, so it goes up in the track, instead of catching behind the track.

Everything in the tailgate itself looked fine..

Thank you for all the information, have a good day.

CJ

Armada

Google Classic Industries. I've posted the link on here before. They are an alternative to LMC and I have found their parts fit better too.

CycleJay

Hello Combatmech,

Is yours an '85 M1009 too?
If so, do you have a part number? for the roof side(shell) seal?
And what is RTV?

I think I found the right part number in the LMC catalog, but not sure.

Thank you

CJ

CycleJay

Hello Combatmech,

Thanks for the part info. Got it..

Thank you for your brave serice to our country, it is greatly appreciated.
My M1009 runs & drives great, no major issues, so cannot complain.

Good night,

CJ

combatmech

Hey CJ,
You are very welcome sir!!
I bought "Thing 2" right before I deployed. Didnt get a chance to drive it much. My girlfriend and her son take it out once a week.....I've had some work done to it while I have been away...New tires, axle ball joints, fluids etc. I have a living room full of parts waiting on me.
The window seal is easy to replace. It has little metal spring- clips built into the seal...I used a plastic scraper and a hammer to gently tap it into the groove ( Just to make sure it was seated all the way. )
Did your truck come painted all black??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks