• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: North Texas - New Project - First Pics ("take two")

I_Publius

Picked up my first M1009 project truck. Hope to have it up and running by tomorrow afternoon. ;)

Thanks to 86m1028 for all his help yesterday. He helped tow it home and gave me some info on the truck. It's going to be a lot of work, but hope it will be worth it...one day.

M1009 - Trailer.jpgM1009 - First pics 008.jpgM1009 - First pics 007.jpgM1009 - First pics 006.jpgM1009 - First pics 005.jpgM1009 - First pics 004.jpgM1009 - First pics 003.jpgM1009 - First pics 001.jpgM1009 - First pics 002.jpgM1009 - First pics 009.jpg

I_Publius

I sure hope the AC works as planned!! Now, I just need to determine if it is all 12v or is still a 24v machine, then buy batteries, and see if I can get her to turn over...oh....I need a new steering column and key first! :)

K9Vic

I know I am late on this but....

As I noted it is likely converted to 12v and I already see a problem from those pictures (#2 & #3). The glow plug resistor bank that is behind the engine on the fire wall appears to be hooked up. If it is you will only be getting 6v at the glow plugs and the truck will not start well or at all if it is cold out. With this current summer heat it may start, but likely not. I had the exact same issue with a M1010 I bought from Benbrook PD where they still have the resistor connected. After I correctly hooked it up to the battery for 12v, truck started. Who ever did the conversion did not understand how the system works or the resistor would have been bypassed.

There are also wiring for the emergency lighting, that flasher is probably for the headlights in pic #7 where you can see it centered. Seems to be a wiring mess from an incorrect 12v conversion, so that Roscommon article should help allot.

I just saw this and you may have already took care of this from my last post, but wanted to share what I saw for everyone.

machinist75

You should have had ray just go ahead and take it to Gary's house. He knows his cucv's. I can tell he's already chomping at the bit to work his magic and apply his knowledge.

I_Publius

K9Vic: thanks! That would make since. I'll get that documentation printed out and give a shot at re-wiring it correctly this time. I'm not a huge electrical guy, but I'm gonna give it a shot!

BTW...I appreciate ya'll's input, for sure.

I_Publius

More pics of wiring mess

here are more pics of the engine area and the area where the Doghead mod will go, I believe.

M1009 - First pics 018.jpgM1009 - First pics 017.jpgM1009 - First pics 016.jpgM1009 - First pics 023.jpgM1009 - First pics 022.jpgM1009 - First pics 015.jpgM1009 - First pics 014.jpgM1009 - First pics 013.jpg

Last edited:

I_Publius

Moderator: I have searched for, but can not find, how to remove the two attached thumbnail photos in my above posting. Can you remove, or can someone provide instructions on how to remove? Thanks.

K9Vic

you should have had ray just go ahead and take it to gary's house. He knows his cucv's. I can tell he's already chomping at the bit to work his magic and apply his knowledge.
LOL!! :naner::beer:

OK, I see a manual Glow plug (GP) button most likely in Pic #4 next to what is the A/C dial? So they new the truck was not starting and put in a manual button, hopefully that was done correctly or in a correct working manner. Under the dash do you see the large box near the parking brake or maybe hanging. Inside that should be square a circuit board, that is the GP controller. If it is missing you will have to continue to use the manual button. If it is there, running 12v to the relay on the firewall should allow the native GP system to work.

In pic #3 I can see the wiring from removing the alternator for 12v power side of the 24v system. My best guess is those two wires running from that side over to the passenger side are for 12v power from the original wiring. Hard to tell, but that is my guess and something you should correct going by the Roscommon system.

As for helping, I can always spend a day over there to go over it on a Saturday as long as you have tools I can use. I have a M1031, but it took me 1.5 hours to drive it from McKinney to my house when I bought it. So not real up to lugging that to McKinney and would take my Tahoe.

K9Vic

Moderator: I have searched for, but can not find, how to remove the two attached thumbnail photos in my above posting. Can you remove, or can someone provide instructions on how to remove? Thanks.
Go to edit post
click on 'Go Advanced'
Look for 'Manage Attachments" and select it.
A window will pop up, in the bottom row it will show all images attached to the post. Check the box for the images you want to remove and after that click on the X on the thumbnail.
It will ask you if you are sure you want to delete these assets, select yes.
The thumbnail will go away and click 'Done'

86m1028

I was up in McKinney yesterday & thought about you.
How's the project going ?

WOW can't believe it's been over a year ago.

I_Publius

I know...time is flying. Project has been on hold, due to other pressing issues, but I hope to get them going again soon. How are things with you??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks