• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: Old style camo or newer?

M1009: Which style camo do you prefer?

• Older style, TB43-0209 pages 66 and 67

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Newer style, TB43-0209 pages 64 and 65

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stratoghost

I am about to paint my M1009 and decided to paint it the newer style camo pattern, however I saw a picture of one painted in this scheme and it did not look good to me. I think the green might have been too light, the brown the wrong shade or whatever. In any case, it gave me second thoughts.

Which would you choose?

The patterns can be found in document TB43-0209, pages 64-67. Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest going with the older 4 color MERDC camo. You almost never see CUCVs still in this scheme. Everyone and their brother has a solid green, tan or camo CUCV. Make yours different from the masses.

OL AG '89

what paint are you using?

I'm considering doing a repaint as well, but am still considering the cost of the correct CARC paint versus regular auto paint, applied a little thicker.
Also, am I'm sure this exists elsewhere on the site, just haven't found it..... what are the correct paint colors from the old style camo paint?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I read the original question correctly, it is which of the two 383 patterns is most preferred, the early or late ("complete repaint" as described in the manual) as illustrated below.

My vote is late pattern.

Cheers

Pic 1- Early pattern on my "Pigpen". It is due for a repaint.
Pic 2- Late pattern. Vehicle belongs to another SS member.

Attachments

Last edited:

IowaFamilyGuy

So wait, there was an Arctic White scheme for CUCVs? By the time I went to NWTC we had 998s and they were all green or camo... I would think that a flat white one would be really interesting.

Anyone have pics of one?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M813rc ,thats my truck before the repaint.:p
Cool! I knew I got it from someone on here, but couldn't remember who. It nicely illustrated the pattern though.

The early pattern looks like it was thinly sprayed onto an overall green truck. Most I have seen, like on mine, the black and brown have faded or rubbed off to almost nothing, but the green remains. On the upper surfaces of Pigpen, there are patches where the camo colours have worn off and are almost completely green again.
The pattern itself looks like most of the earlier European patterns, mostly green with some black and brown to break it up.

The late pattern fits in with the US idea of near even amounts of black and green with some splodges of brown (something like 44% green/41% black/15% brown) in a more 'scientific' pattern.

I have a 1009 in each pattern, and the late one looks much better to me, more professional for lack of a better term. Personal opinion, but that is what was asked for!

Cheers

Last edited:

The G Man

I have to agree. I see very few in older 4 color scheme.. Gotta do mine in tan with inverted V like it desert storm. Tan covers alot more body imperfections. I am not super at body work but better at that that the guy who operated ( or tried to ) the forklift at GL.