• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 passenger seat cable

Barrman

I searched here and found nothing. LMC catalog doesn't show it, neither does the -20P or -34P.

When the passenger seat is folded forward for access to the back, it is supposed to unlatch the seat base and allow it to travel forward. There is a cable that does this. My cable is there, but it seems to be about 1/4" too long. Before I try to shim it up some way, does anyone have any experience with this problem and helpfull suggestions?

Thanks.

Barrman

Ok, mine moves fine. The cable is too long though. I can wedge part of my finger in there and it works. Hurts too. However, since what the seat back does is move the cable casing, the cable has to be the correct length. I will try to find something sitting around that will work in that small area as a spacer.

OL AG '89

sounds like the cable has slipped out of a notch so it appears too long. I'l check mine tomorrow...... and try to get a picture or two... if i can figure how to upload...:???:

Barrman

I rebuild and fixed ALT2 finally and then my starter started acting funny. Before I pulled it off, I looked through my box of starter parts just seing what all I have collected over the years that might apply. When I saw my container of solenoid to starter copper spacers, I had the solution to the seat cable.

I took a picture of the finished product. For those of you that have not pulled the cover back. The black button looking thing is actaully attached to the cover of the cable. When the seat folds forward, the button pushes the cover which causes the inner cable on the seat frame to pull back, thus releasing the slide so the seat can go forward.

The led cable end in my picture has a crimped starter spacer under it. That is how much longer than needed my cable was. Works great now.

Attachments

OL AG '89

Still question why "too long"?
I tried to upload pictures of mine but no luck.... digital camera with high res setting.... trying to decrease pixels and try again. The cable is same as yours but working fine.

Barrman

I think the problem with mine is down on the seat frame. But, I don't know. That is why I started this thread, to see what it was supposed to look like at each end. Oh well, it works which is all I wanted.

OL AG '89

The business end is the other one

I looked at my seat release and noticed the same as you. I took the thing apart and put it back together at least twice without any better performance and then I thought what if the problem was at the at the seat release and the pushbutton was correct.....

SOOOOOOOO I moved the end from the inside to the outside of the catch and guess what????
It works just fine.
I included a picture to explain what I just said, but it relieved the extra 1/4 inch of cable just hanging there.

Barrman you had a good fix, but I think this is how it came from the factory.

See what you think.:smile:

Attachments

OL AG '89

pawnshop

I bought the M1009 GSA vehicle in mid 09 from NYC park service...... a newbie at GSA purchasing and still feeling a little pain in the arse.... vehicle was listed as "not running"... didn't really mention the fact they had stripped it of batteries, alternators, fuel filter assembly, switches, gauges...... you get the picture?
Oh and it was basically eaten up by rust from the tie rods up..... but it's still beautiful to me.... LOL

I bought the M1009 in the pictures from Warthog in early 10......
Traveled from Houston to OKC in that H*llacious snowstorm we had in North Texas to retrieve.
A Quality vehicle from a Quality guy. Thanks again Warthog!!

I'm still looking for MV's around the north Houston area. I would love to do a little convoy through the streets of Kingwood one weekend.....

Barrman

Sam,
Warthog bought a pair of 1009's out of Arkansas GSA sometime last year. He used both to make the one "ol Ag" now has. I went up to OKC to get it and some other stuff back in December. Once we had the M35 bed to finish out my Gasser, another M105 trailer and a LDT-465 loaded up. We were 1 foot short of trailer space to fit the 1009. The truck drove great, but I really didn't want to do a 400 mile test drive at night on it. So I passed. But, started bugging Warthog about finding enough parts to build another.

He had the frankenstien parts 1009 I ended up with done just before Temple. The plan was for him to bring it to Temple, meet our gang and I would take it on home. Plans fell though and I ended up going to OKC to pick it up on JuneTeenth. I have spent the time since prepping so it can make Boy Scout summer camp next week in Bastrop. I hope to sneak out and hit a few junkyards so I can put the boys to work at night fixing the truck up. Small simple stuff like fuel sender, speedometer, drivers vent window and stuff like that.

I guess we will have to get Danny to designate if it is a M1009 or M35 event since most of us have both now. I hope to bring it to the meeting on the 21st.

I agree that the way your cable is probably is the factory correct way. I was thinking outside the box on the top part and didn't investigate the lower part enough. Thanks. When my bushing breaks off, I will reverse the bottom end.

Pawnshop

We had four at the Lakeway Independence parade, what a sight! The M1009 is the only realistic choice for a daily driver MV and a great vehicle all around, I love mine. The "jeep club" is still the "jeep club", but the "jeep" has changed, it's now a M1009!

Attachments

Barrman

I had a Gasser full of Scouts for the parade here in Giddings. Saw a M1009 go by on 290 headed toward Austin while we wee staging Saturday morning. Did anybody drive in from my way? Had a slight lift with a big drop reciever hitch.

Pawnshop

Nope, none of us. As far as I know our total M1009 roster in Lone Star is as follows: Sarge 1x, Rory 2x, Clint 2x, Me 1x, Charles 1x (tan), Andy 1x (residue) and you. Mark has a tan M1010, I am on the prowl for a M1008 and Red has a M887 (or M888, have not seen it), that is all the CUCV at the moment. Don't know who that was you saw.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the M1009 in the pictures from Warthog in early 10......
Traveled from Houston to OKC in that H*llacious snowstorm we had in North Texas to retrieve.
A Quality vehicle from a Quality guy. Thanks again Warthog!!.....
Thanks for the kudos.

Glad I could get you and Barrman into some running trucks. Now if Barrman would stop bugging me about the little issues.....Just kidding Tim.

P.S. your yoke and seat belt should be on their way this afternoon.

Barrman

Thanks for everything again Joe.

Could you look at any spare passenger seats and see how this cable is run on it? I think he hit on the correct way.

Remember how the passenger seat in the truck Ol'Ag has was not bolted down when we visited in December? Allen almost fell out of the truck. Well, when we got in what is now my truck a few weeks ago, Allen shook the seat and pulled on it before getting in just to be sure. Colton and I were going to Scouts in the 1009 Tuesday and as I lightly braked at a stop, he shot forward. Turns out the seat was bolted down, but not tight. The frame twisted just enough to let it slide forward. Once I tightened them down, it is amazing how much vibration noise that was making.

OL AG '89

Hey Warthog,
I'm still searching for some antenna mounts to pretty her up.....
You got any laying around I could relieve you of?
I'm looking for 3 total so I can restore to the "command" configuration it had in the TXARNG.
I'm still planning a road trip to Bryan / C.S. but it has to cool down a little. Maybe a football game visit.
I still remember the ride from Houston to Ft.Hood and I'm not ready to sweat that much for that long....

Also still looking for some Mv's closer to Houston for a little mini-rally close to town. I take mine to the carshow near me (Atascosita) every Sat. night, wen I'm in town.
I love to hear the little kids yell out "COOL, an ARMY TRUCK"........ make their night when I let them climb in the thing and get a picture.....

Barrman

First we find out we were at A&M together, then in the 49AD together. Now I see that you live where my wife's sister and family lived until about 2 years ago.

Go down to the museum on Wallisville road and 610. I tagged along with them last fall for the Wings over Houston show. Great bunch of people. Many are on SS as well.

MILITARY MUSEUM OF TEXAS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks