• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Rear Chunk Gear Replacement

kingsley

Guys need some help....

Upon inspection of the rear chunk, I found one of the spider gears is missing a tooth. Does anyone have any suggestion of where I can pick up the parts? The local GM shop is searching.

thanks for the help.

Kingsley

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
"chunk" does not mean anything when it comes to vehicles. Cheese or chocolate maybe, but not trucks.

If you are talking about the read axle then I would check ebay or go to your local pull-it-yourself junkyard. GM 10-bolts are very common GM vehicles. Aother option is checking out govliquidation as they are selling off many of these axles. I bought two new in the crate for $50 each two weeks ago. Recently they are being sold out of the Norfolk, Va. location. They still have a couple left from abandoned lots and such. Shipping would be your only real cost.

kingsley

the term "chunk"

Acutally I hate to differ with you....the term chunk is commonly used in our racing circuit to refer to the rear diff. Let's try not to highlight our ignorance.

I am not looking for a scrap yard special, rather a good OEM reseller.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: the term "chunk"

I don't know about OEM other then you local or online GM dealer. Aftermarket replacement I would start at Randy Ring and Pinion (www.ringpinion.com). They have been good to me in the past. On ebay I ran across some new no name spiders for $93, so if it was me I would at least take a look at just replacing it with low cost locker like a Lockright. Here is another aftermarket. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/0111.html

No ignorance here. I have been into autos since I was young, and even raced cheap vintage for a couple years. I even ran this by two coworkers who are into drag racing. No one ever heard of that term. I would not have know what you were talking about if you had not mentioned spider gears. Chunk must be a local term that is not generally used.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: the term "chunk"

My cousin always uses the term "center chunk". It always catches me funny when I hear him say it, but apparently it is a commonly used term for the differential.

ida34

I understood chunk. I don't use it. I have also heard pumpkin. I have worked as a professional mechanic before but changed professions. If it is regional it must have made it to Michigan. I also have been around racing since the 70's. I had a step father that raced. I can't remember the last time I have heard the term chunk but it has been a while.

That being said, the problem you will find with the dealerships is that of dealing with the Govlock unit. It is only oem for the military blazers. I doubt the spider gears are the same as the open diffs. If they are the same, check LMC truck. They have the gears individually or as a set.