• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Recovery shackle diameters and other questions

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am doing the finishing touches on my tow bar for my Monday pickup of a M1009 at Aberdeen, and I wanted to verify the OD diameter of the hole for the recovery shackles? Also I was wondering what the diameter of the shackle pin is? From my quick measurements the OD of the hole is 1”, but I ran across someone saying the pin was 7/8”. It is much easier to pop out a new bushing at home with the lathe then at the base with a file.

I was also wondering if you guys have any advise on tricks for starting one of these after sitting for a bit. I have read the military manuals, but have no prior experience with diesels. I was told most of these were driven on base (probably except my M1009). By the way this is the link to it. http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=784765
This will be my first military vehicle.
Thanks

mangus580

Kenny is right on the pin size...

Also as for starting it for hte first time, I would read through as much as you can here in the CUCV section. You will learn alot.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like you got a good deal on it! Congrats. I know on my experiences with 6.2's and 6.5's, they really need the glowplugs to cycle before they want to start.

JCease

I know that titling of a vehicle has come up in the past. I don't think Ihave seen anything about obtaining a title in Virginia. Have you looked into that as far as DMV issuing a title? Will it be difficult? Blazer looks great, it's exactly what I want. How "central" Va are you?? I am near Richmond.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I made my second attempt to pick this Blazer and it was another disaster. (arghhhh) I had driven the 8 hours after kidnapping a friend to drive it home. It is hard to see, but the truck says it runs in the writing on the truck, and the attendant before the auction said most of these were driven to their current location. I brough new batteries and some tools just in case. My back up was to use the tow bar to at least get it out of the secure part of the base if not entirely off the base, and then get a tow truck to haul it back to my friends house. Anyways all they had was the generic key most of these trucks have and that did not fit this truck. They drove it to its current spot, and then apparently lost the key. No key means no towing either as the steering won't turn without digging into it. Otherwise the truck was ok with some rust under the drivers door, but nothing too bad.

At this point I am actually thinking that this might have been a little over my head as far as retreiving this vehicle. Has anyone every gotten out of purchasing a vehicle with Govliquidation. I am thinking of emailing them and asking if it can be done for a hit of the buyers premium or something. Part of the trouble with Aberdeen is they normaly have only 2 hours on thursday to pick up vehicles.

By the way thanks for the size on the pin, and where to poke around for more info on getting one of these started. I am 1/2 hour south of Richmond. As far a the titling goes I it would be no problem with this Blazer as it should have a title as the listing said nothing to contrary. I am currently dealing with titling a M116a2 trailer that I purchased. It came only with a bill of sale. From talking to Turtle Manufactuing the military never bothered with titles on these generator trailers. Virginia does not look to be too bad. I need to get a state inspector to check out the vehicle, and pay like $40 extra if it needs a new title made.

JCease

I am sorry to hear that you couldn't get your truck. I am by no means any type of expert, but... Would it be possible to unhook your drive shafts from the axles to the transmission, and then pull it that way? The wheels should roll freely I would imagine, and then you could get it home using a towbar.... I saw some folks towing a truck down the road today and it got me to thinking about unhooking the driveshafts.

Just a thought. I live just north of Richmond. If you get your truck down here, I would love to look at it sometime. JOSH