• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 repaint project

richingalveston

here are some pics of my repaint in progress.
At this time I am repainting the body with exeption of underside. I have very little rust on this vehicle but due to the rott i was dealing with on my old unit i wanted to take care of all body paint and rust before I even put it on the road.

I plan to do a 4inch lift and many other things to it in the future but for now i will drive it stock for a while.
Now that I fixed the GL damage it runs and drives great.

so far i have Preasure washed outside, reworked front end with duel peep lights to get rid of the Nato recep. abated all rust, repainted flat black and forest green. (grill will be painted when i fire up the paint rig) working with spray cans for now.
I am workin on small amounts of rust in the floor and door jamb rocker panels. this rust is all interior, undurside of body is clean (very clear this was a california vehicle) once i get the floor abated and reprimed, i will continue to remove the dash after that it will be ready for a final exterior wetsand and firing up the paint gun. using gillespie paint, lusterless forest green

(yes using all proper reporators and caution with old paint)

I will try to keep pictures posted as i progress proceeds
i welcome all input to the project
Thank you,

Attachments

Capt.Marion

Looking good so far. Keep us posted with a healthy supply of pics, too!

@dstang- He replaced the slave plug with another blackout drive light.
reworked front end with duel peep lights to get rid of the Nato recep.

richingalveston

I plan on installing a front receiver with winch. which will also have a light bar. with the peep light only on one side you will not be able to see the other side of the road when driving to the deer stand.

cfish

Thats funny I plan to use my black out lights to drive to the deer stand as well. I will be painting mine this spring. Taking it next week to a buddies to sand blast the under carriage. the frame and the body have no rust and light to occasional moderate rust on axles wheels leaf springs etc. We will then spray it with the John Deer under coat paint that was recomended by someone else here.

richingalveston

going to do the underside of mine the same way in the near future, here is my modified black out light for the left side if any one is interested

i felt like the nato plug was usless, sorry if i affend anyone here i understand some people get a little emotional about changing anything from stock.

I may convert to 12v in the future since i have the starter already from my doner vehicle

Attachments

Hogg

I deer hunt out of my M1009 as well and like the idea of using the blackout lights to drive to the stand, but what do you do about the friggin loud*ss clatter that the 6.2 gives off? ive had buddies drop me off at a stand and then drive away in it and you can hear it from a mile away coming and goin

cfish

Sounds like a tractor to the deer. Tractor translate into food in deer speak!! I was mowing a rather large pasture on my buddies farm where I hunt last year. While I was mowing two beautiful 8 pointers came out of the woods and fed where I had already mowed. I was able to drive within 30 yards of them before they bolted into the woods. Got to the other side of the field 200 yards away and out they came right where they were before. Did that three times more before I finished mowing. They were there when I left but not two weeks later when I came back to hunt.

richingalveston

yea i wish i could do something about the noise but where i hunt the deer do not mind because it is quieter than the trains they normally hear. one side of my deer lease is a very busy train track so sound does not bother them. If needed you can get 3 or 4 shots at them before they move.

fortunately i only need one shot.

richingalveston

todays work:
finished the framework behind the bumper, also found a rust issue under battery trey and in RF fender looks like a battery
went bad at one time and ate all the paint.

also pulled the parts in the dash, going to clean and wrap up everything behind the dash to make ready for paint.
debating on pulling the windsheild, make painting easier but not sure the difficltly level

it is really amazing how few parts there are in the dash

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks