• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Return line diagram

seth111115goal

Hello,
I am looking for a return line diagram from the fire wall to the tank. We're looking to put a check valve in it, and am wondering where to put it.
Thank you!

sneekyeye

Now don't quote me on this, but I believe the injection pump has a check ball on the pump itself. It shouldn't matter if there is a check valve in the return line. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Matt5

Banned
system worked fine for 35 years... I am wondering why you want to put a check valve in a return line...

Keith_J

Yes, the case drain on the injection pump has a check valve in it. It is called the case pressure regulator as case pressure influences timing. More pressure means less advance, lower pressure advances timing. There is a solenoid which unloads the check valve spring, causing case pressure to drop about 5 PSI (cracking pressure of the valve) which is how the cold advance solenoid works.

Transfer pressure or charge pressure is speed dependent, a circuit pressurizes the timing advance piston using this pressure. There is also a low speed cam on the right (passenger) side of the pump which is actuated by the right side throttle shaft.

Back to original topic..a check valve in the return circuit downstream of the injection pump will only mask problems and retard timing. If you are having an air leak, find it and fix it. Injection pumps need a constant flow back to tank to keep the injection pump cool. They are constantly stirring the fuel which generates heat.