• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 running rough/surging

AZDeuce

Fellow MV'rs:

Coming home from work Sat, my CUCV started surging, losing-gaining power, and running rough. I barely made it home about 15 miles at around 30-40 MPH, she wouldn't do any faster - had no power.

The last time I had a similar problem was on my FIRST engine, when I put gas instead of diesel in her. I ruined that engine.....DOH! So I bought a take out 6.2 Humve engine, and swapped everything but the injection pump. It's been running great until now.

I checked for gas, it seems to be all diesel, so I don't think I screwed up again (I hope)

I lost the glow plugs years ago, and start it with starting fluid, despite all the nay-sayers, this will not hurt your engine, unless your glow plugs work, or you give it EXCESSIVE amounts of starting fluid.

I went to start the beast this morning and she wouldn' "catch" so I gave her a slightly bigger dose of starter Fluid, and she ran for about 3 seconds. then died.

When I put gas in the first engine I had the same problem/symptoms occur, But I was dumber then, and KEPT feeding her starter fluid, until I grenaded some rings between 2 & 4, Not wanting to repeat that incident, I quit using the starter fluid, and removed a fuel line off of the #3 injector and had the wife crank the engine with her foot to the floor on the throttle, I only got a trickle of fuel. What in the World!!??

So, I next removed the inlet, and outlet lines at the fuel filter while she cranked the engine. I got pretty good spurts of fuel with every stroke of the fuel pump, so I hooked those lines back up. I plan on changing the fuel fiter tomorrow.....just in case, but I do have flow to the Injector Pump (IP).

So next I removed the top cover on the IP, and it was FULL of fuel. Proving to me, that I do have proper fuel flow up and to the IP. I checked inside for any signs of deteriorating gasket material, but it appears clean, with no signs of dirt or foreign substance inside. So I put the lid back on.

At this point I checked Steelsoldiers CUCV section, and found the thread regarding a M1008 that was stumbling/surging. Somebody wrote to take off the valve on top of the IP lid, that has a "J" shaped rubber hose that goes to the bleed back line towards the front of the engine.

They mentioned this valve should have a glass check valve, and you should be able to see through it. Mine has a check valve, but it is made of plastic, and you cannot see through it. I was able to suck air through it in one direction only, but not blow air into it from either direction. I used a ice pick to push on the valve, and it does move, and returns to the closed position under spring pressure.

So I'm ASSuming that this valve is working properly, and is differnt in design because it's from a HUMVE and not a CUCV.......but that's just a lot of ASSumption on my part!

I noticed Saturday when I popped the hood to see what was up, some smoke appeared on the drivers side of the engine, I looked closely, and saw some liquid dripping from what seemed the valve cover, down onto the exhaust manifold, I'm wondering now if I could have a small crack in one of those return lines that run from injector to injector, and it was spraying on the side of the block then dripping onto the manifold.....hmmm?

Any ideas? I'm stumped, and getting a little depressed over this.

DAZED & CONFUSED in Buckeye, AZ

AZDeuce

Ranchhopper:

I took that valve out and cleaned it out from both ends with brake claner, I got no residue, I also looked down inside the hole it came out of, and it appers clean to me, no dirt, no gasket residue.

I also turned the key "ON" and touched the "hot" leads to their prospective mountig connections and heard the relays clicking inside the IP, so I believe that old indicate all is well inside the top cover.......I think.....

I'm still lost without a clue.......

Az Deuce

Somemedic

Might post thiis to the hummer guys since its one of their motors. Im not as versed on the minute niuansces of the HMMV 6.2 and the CUCV...

AZDeuce

STILL NOT RUNNING, LOOKING FOR ANSWERS........

Let me ask a question......IF, those little hoses that run from injector to injector were leaking, would it cause surging/non-starting issues?

My only other thought is the fuel is contaminated with either gas or water.

I've got fuel to the injectors, as I saw it get damp around the #3 injector after cranking her. I'm ASSuming that the dampness is coming from one of those little "by-pass hoses" that return excess fuel to the tank.

My plan of attack at this point is to replace the suspected hose, drain the "suspect" fuel - and run it in the Deuce, and put fresh diesel in the Blazer.

Any thoughts on this??

DAZED & CONFUSED in Buckeye, AZ