• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Speedo way off...FIXED.

DREDnot

One of the minor annoyances since I bought this truck has been the incorrect speedo reading.
I have stock axle ratios and 31 inch tires.
Its way fast. Checked it with phone/GPS and it was 10MPH fast at 25 and got worse. 19 off at 50(reading 69)

Did some searching on here and saw a lot of similar complaints. Most mentioning cable lubrication and casing damage/wear. Also talk about the "adapter" gearbox added at the Transfer case hookup.
DSCN2758.jpg

DSCN2759.jpg

Took that little guy off of there to see if its functional and whatnot.
DSCN2802.jpg

After monkeying around with it for a bit, I came to the conclusion that it was overdriving the cable output...a lot...
Decided to hook the speedo cable back up without it.

GPS matched speedo perfectly now 25@25. 57 at 55.
Good cheap and easy fix just in time for holiday policing activities(speedtraps)

I'm not sure of the tooth counts/color on the drive gears as the housing didn't want to pop free of the t-case. The top of the square cable receptacle(driven gear) looked tanish/yellowish. So maybe its not correct(brown?)

Anyway, Its a nice thing to have working again.

DSCN2851.jpg

Drock

My speedo has a mind of it's own and seems to be affected by the weather. Cold weather it reads 10MPH fast, hot weather who knows?:shrugs: It's the original cable so I'm sure that's the problem. I just use (Speed view) app on my phone for long trips.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 4.56 gear ratio, a speeding citation is waaaay down there on my worry list :) Glad you got it working.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks