• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 start issue

jimm1009

I have the notorious click click problem.
I have a new starter and the problem did not go away with the old worn out one.
I changed the relay under the dash and put a brand new one according to the sticky on this formum.

I changed the batter cable from the buss bar to the starter (1 gage) but still the intermittent click-click.

I truly thought that I had a high resistance connection in my battery cable going to the starter as this is an intermittent problem and rarely happens on the first start of the day but is did today.
What I want to do is put in the 2nd system where you add a starter button to essentially hot wire the starter solenoid by bypassing the OEM ignition switch. I do not intend to deactivate any of the system that is in place but if it fails then I want to be able to push the starter button and start the truck that way.
My problem is that I am not smart enough to read that wiring diagram for the solenoid back to battery portion. I have the military wiring diagrams and also the 1984 Chevy factory manual that I purchased 20 years ago too.

Help, I've fallen and I can't get up! :(

Any have a simply diagram for accomplishing this task?
Jim ( jimm1009 here on s.s.) or m1009jim@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance my fellow olive drab brothers & sisters.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

Sounds like it could be starter solenoid, bendix not engaging. Batteries are fully charged. load tested? What kind of new starter is that, cheap chinese junk? Have an original direct drive 27MT rebuilt, they are dependable.

CUCVLOVER

It might have something to do with that little metal tab that the key switch moves. My dad was saying that on his 83 Chevy that, that tab would start to wear out and It wouldn't put the link all the way an it sounds tell the starter selanoide in gauge.
So that might be adding to your problem or not but I figured I who throw that out there just my2cents

jimm1009

Batteries are 6 months old and 900 amp units. Mean Green gear reduction starter as the ACDelco unit was beyond worn out.
The problem with there before the starter was replaced so it was a different starter and different starter solenoid.
I put a new starter cable on (1 gage) and it is still troubled so it is something under the dash.
If I could figure out how to run a 2nd wire to the solenoid then I think that will be the best option.
That way if the traditional key switch does not engage the starter then I have the magic starter button as a back up.
Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks