• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Starting problems

JohnFire

Ok folks having some starting issues with my daily driver 1986 M1009 with 60K on it. This truck has been changed to 12volts starting. Just had the glow plugs replaced cause some of the old ones were barely heating. Those were 8 years old. I had a new set that were supposed to be quick lighting Autolites. Within less than 2 weeks they burned out and had problems getting them out since some had mushroomed. New ones are in, and worked great, but now when I turn the key the wait light will stay lit no matter the time or temp outside and the voltage does not drop like normal when the plug are lit and it won't start. The moment that you cycle the ignition it usually fires right up and the light goes out right away. Also after I leave it for awhile the wait light doesn't lite up and it takes about 20 seconds of cranking till it starts. I haven't had a chance to track it down since I have just moved out to Missouri for the next six months. The M1028 starts right up imediately, while the M1009 takes a few more cranks. The M1028 is back in PA so I can't swap controllers to see if it is the controller. I am guessing one of 3 things, the controller, the relay, or the sensor. I am trying to see what is the best way to track down the problem. I appreciate any and all help.

John

acetomatoco

There are probably about 500 posts on the subject in the archives here.. with no voltage drop, your plugs are not working... there sre so many things to check you need to get the manuals and go thru all the troubleshooting the gummint provided for you...If you changed to 12V for starting, are you using only one battery for that purpose? Or some slick series/parallel arrangement? A push button and 10 feet of wire will operate the solenoid for you for about $5.... professional troubleshooting and a new controller card will cost you hundreds...but so are the joys ov MV ownership...You can test the glow plugs with an Ohm Meter and the temp switch with a continuity meter etc etc etc...some folks eliminate the resistor pack and go with a 12v source for the plugs...AC60G plugs work fine for me...welcome to GM world. Now is the time to buy some metric wrenches.

Mike_Pop

Metric wrenches. Ha! Typical of GM in the mid eighties to interchange SAE and metric stuff. Very aggravating when working on the truck!

JohnFire

Very true, damn metric on a GM product! I have 2 sets of wrenches and sockets in in the truck. I am running 2 optima red tops in parallel. No resistor pack. Used the nice step by step instructions that are given out by the one state agency.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks