• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering problem

my86m1009

I tried searching but couldn't find my exact issue. I will drive straight and go to switch a lane and its fine until I go to correct the wheel back straight. When I start turning the wheel it gets tight for a second then almost breaks loose and the truck jerks. Today it got a sort of death wobble till I stopped and steered back and forth and it went away. My truck does have loose steering. I was wondering if the gearbox needs to be replaced or if its something else?

Hasdrubal

Your front axle u-joints need replacing, they produce the very symptoms you're describing. A good wheel alignment shop will tell you if your steering box needs replacing, ask them where to source a quality rebuild. Beware of just picking one up from your local parts store. I did that and the rebuilt box had more play than my original worn out one. While you're at it replace the tie rods also.