• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering Shenanigans...

DREDnot

DSCN2491.jpg
Slowly drilling down on the loose steering/wandering issue.
Steering feel is very light and loose when centered.
Falls off easily to either side from road imperfections.

All in all, it's more of a handful to keep straight than it should be. Especially since it only has 15K miles on it.

Serviced wheel bearings. They were fine to begin with. Not the problem.
20170929_123149.jpg
New tires didn't have any effect.

Alignment helped. Tech said all the joints were good, tight, and free. Said bushings are toast, though. Confirming my initial assessment.

DSCN2539.jpg

Had my daughter (reluctantly) assist with a dry park test.
There was slight movement in the wasted front bushings.
A little squirm in the leaves that I don't care for.
DSCN2529.jpg
The frame was twisting at the steering gear mount. Not cracked yet thank goodness.
But the most slop was coming from the steering shaft/pitman arm popping up down and sideways at the same time.
DSCN2517.jpg
Not a lot, but it was that side to side slop in the steering wheel at center.
So I did the unthinkable...I actually snugged up the shaft preload adjuster...almost three quarters of a turn...Till it just took out that movement in the Sector shaft.
It got rid of virtually all side to side slop in the wheel. Still returns to center with no binding. The light feeling is gone and has a more familiar steering effort feel now.
I don't know how many times I've preached that you don't use that adjuster to "tighten up" your sloppy steering...I feel like a heathen.

I've got a ReMan steering box ordered
Got an ORD steering brace coming
Got new, greaseable poly bushings and ORD HD shackles coming.

Hopefully we'll get that "new truck" feel back.

DSCN2828.jpg

Drock

Yeah sounds like the box is your biggest culprit, It looks like it's leaking too. My M1028's power steering system will be all new once I can find the time & $$ to replace the box. Every piece sprung a leak one buy one. starting with the lines, then the pump, then the brake booster, and now the steering box. Anything made of rubber, plastic, or gasket is rotted on these trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
15,000 miles is unheard of with an M1009. It's the preferred beer run truck of the armed forces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks