• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Still Won't Move

niferous

This is getting pretty frustrating. Ok my truck originally had a serious transmission leak and wouldn't move. Well it turned out I was missing my vacuum modulator and modulator valve. I just put both of them in and added transmission fluid. I get in the truck and it fires right up, try to drop it in gear and nothing happens. Normally you feel a clunk of the transmission ****ting into reverse or drive but for me there was nothing. So checked the fluid and it's below the add line but also the transmission is cold. I put 3 quarts in it before trying this. Also I should point out that the transfer case is in 4 Hi. The reason for this is because it was in neutral when we towed it home from Redstone and I can't get it moving to shift it into 2 Hi. As it is right now it doesn't want to shift back down into Neutral on the transfer case. The truck also rolls forward if you push it but does not roll backwards.

So I'm stumped here. It has trans fluid as well as a vacuum modulator (O'Reilly VM324), and a modulator valve I got today from a transmission parts house. Also I got underneath it with the truck not running and had my girlfriend shift the truck and it is ****ing down at the transmission. As in the rods are moving and turning when it's taken out of park and put into gear.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Hopefully it's just something I am doing wrong.

niferous

Well I went down and checked after I posted and at cold it still had just barely any oil on the dipstick. As in not even enough to really see it just feel it on there. So I added another quart which brings it to 4 qts I have put in there. I assume I should see at least some on the dipstick even if the transmission is cold? I have changed the gears in the truck back and forth just sitting there. Might add more?:cry:

Bobert

You might try it in 4 Low if it can. Can you spin the front driveshaft in park?(with the hubs unlocked)

When my trans went bad, it would barely move, less and less untill it just sat there and did nothing. In 4 Low, it had a little more power to move when 2 and 4 hi could not.

Just something to try.

niferous

VICTORY!!!!!!

Ok the transmission when it was all said and done took 7 quarts total to get it up there. I may still have to add some more and will check it after the transmission is real nice and warmed up. Was having trouble getting the transfer case to shift into 2 HI and decided to check the fluid and it was about 3-1/2 quarts low. So I filled that up and it shifted just fine. Drove it about 15-20 miles to my buddies house and went the whole way with no hick-ups. Stopped in a dirt lot and tried out 4 HI and it worked too. The light on the dash did not turn on though which was strange because it was doing so at the house. The only thing that seemed a little hinky was that it shifted really hard into 2nd gear. As the truck got warmer it did shift a lot smoother and it may just be shaking the cob webs out of itself. Who knows....

Anyway I'm appreciative for all the help and really glad it's running.

blzrgb

The hard shifting on a TH 400 is usually caused by a lack of vacuum signal. Trace out the vacuum line starting to the left of the IP all the way down to the trans and i bet you'll find the hose is dry rotted. TH400's will upshift when the line pressure gets high enough even if you have the shifter in 1st. Once the vacuum lines are fixed you'll barely even feel it when it shifts.:-D

blzrgb

It's just a small rubber vaccum line. Any auto parts stores will have it. There are two sizes on youre 09. Best to snip off a small piece to carry with you. Very inexpencive fix.

niferous

I guess I will have to look at it. Haven't gotten a good chance to really familiarize myself with all that stuff yet. I'll try to take a look at it tonight though.

rlwm211

thm400 fluid capacity

Hi;
I checked Mitchell on demand and the tranny holds 11 quarts if it is dry. Sounds like it was way down on fluid. I hope you get things straightened out. I may have some vacuum line diagrams that would apply if you need them. Ideally, there should be a sticker in the engine compartment that has the proper routing already.

niferous

Yeah if you can shoot those diagrams over I would appreciate it. I will check the fluid when I get home to make sure I don't need to add anymore.

rlwm211

The TM which has great diagrams and information on the CUCV is in the Technical Manuals in "old steel soldiers". Look for the one labelled Unit maintainence of truck tactical cucv in the middle of the page. I could not find one specifically for the M1009, but the two vehicles M1009 and M1008 share components and systems. The axles are different, but the basic information is correct. Right click this link and select "save target as" and place it somewhere on your computer where you can find it. It is in Adobe Acrobat format. Here is the link:
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=8

3dubs

Also on the right side od the trans the vacume line is metal but at the trans there is about a one inch rubber line. Mine was all dried up. The rest is on top of the engine. The vacume pump is on the baxk of the engine by the fire wall. The line goes from there to the switch on the injection pump. There is an adapter there. Mine was cracked and leaking. The adapter is discuntinued. But just pull it off and put the vacume line on the swich (I forgot what it is called). Then vacume line runs back to the hard line at the back of the engine that goes to the trans. The tech manual has pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks