• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 suspension questions

m1009man

Hello everyone, just have a couple of questions about suspension components for the M1009. I would like to replace my old shocks with Bilsteins but I don't know which ones I need that are the equivalent to the factory ones. Also am thinking about replacing all of the old bushings with energy suspension polyurethanes because the old rubber ones are almost non- existent but also don't know exactly which ones I need. Do I base everything on a Chevy 3/4 ton suspension or possibly a 1 ton? I know that this will be expensive but I would rather spend a little extra on components that will last me a long time. Please let me know if I am forgetting about any other suspension parts that normally wear out on these vehicles other than the springs(mine seem to be ok). Any info and or help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin C.

acetomatoco

you go to napa and tell em you have a 1984 Blazer ( full size) with a 6.2...and no air conditioning...and away you go...just replace with aftermarket stuff and you will be fine. the truck will wear out before the replacement stuff... heck it is over 20 years old already with the factory parts.

AJMBLAZER

Everything on that truck that you just asked about is the same as anything in the aftermarket for a stock half ton Blazer. The military just weight rated them at their actual rating and not the civilian "traditional" ratings.

Me likey Bilsteins.

www.ColoradoK5.com if you haven't discovered it already.

SuperchargedRS

I got my Bils from a guy online (forgot the name), run a froogle.com search for the best prices. You need the k5 blazer shocks (tell them you dont have the quad shocks though).

Also I wouldnt get the poly bushings, as you probably want more flex as these are trucks not 911s, anywho to each there own, not to mention rubber lasts a long time if cared for (see glicerin jell).

AJMBLAZER

Modern poly flexes very well, we've been over this.

Flex on a stock K5 isn't much of an issue, the frame will flex so much windows will pop out if you let it. The suspension loosing maybe an inch compared to a rubber bushing equipped suspension shouldn't be a deciding point.

Poly lasts forever...rubber doesn't.

m1009man

Thanks alot for the input guys. I just wanted to make sure before I spent any money on the components so I could get it right the first time. Hopefully I will be purchasing these items in the very near future. Anyway thanks again for all the help. Kevin C.